• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone using Rotella T4?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Looking for a conventional high zinc 10w30 for my rebuilt Keep 4.0 motor.
I’m following the builders recommendations and going to change the break in oil soon.

He asked me to run NON synthetic Rotella conventional 10w30.
I found the T4 which, according to all I’ve researched is non sysnthetic....darn bottles are so vague these days or full of so many stupid acronyms only an engineer would know how to identify...lol.

Apparently what the builder is after is a high zinc conventional oil that’s relatively inexpensive.

Just wondering if anyone has used the T4.

I know all about the T5 and 6 syn blends and full syn but have no experience with the T4 triple protection oil.
Looks like it’s API approved for diesel and gas motors.

That's what we ran on 20cyl EMD engines on towboats on the Ms river. Its probably one of the best conventional motor oils there is. I'd have no issues recommending this oil what so ever.

Rotella makes some of the best oils on the market. Heavy Duty industry has been using them for decades.
I run T6 Full Synthetic in everything I own. Cars, trucks, gas or diesel. Boats, jet skis lawn mower, 4 wheelers. Etc.

I did some more research and it seems the current T4 is the same blend as the old stuff but it just doesent have certain approvals from the government to officially approve it for gasoline cars due to the high phosphorous/zinc content ZDDP to protect catalytic converters.
Apparently shell officially replied this to the bobstheoilguy forum.

I run T4 in just about everything. Old V8’s, motorcycle and even the lawn mower. Cant beat it for the money. You also cant get the zinc any cheaper by the time you buy the break in additive.

Back
Top Bottom