• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone use Hi-Tek coated cast lead bullets

MILSURP Collector

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Airborne Ranger
291   0
Reaction score
I just ordered 45 Caliber .452 Diameter 230 Grain Round Nose Plated 500 Count from Mid-South and with shipping and tax was just over .20 a bullet.

I have plenty of factory ammo but want to target shoot reloads till prices stabilize.

So for target shooting are these coated bullets good to go, or should I stick to plated and play it safe?

A few of my .45s are MILSURP 1911s, don't want to be Penny wise and Pound foolish.

https://summitcitybullets.com/pisto...p round nose bevel base Hi-Tek coated bullets

I will say that I shoot them both, and prefer the plated. The plated bullets are swaged and are softer than cast bullets which generally makes the plated bullets more accurate at target bullet pressures. There are some coated bullets that are also swaged (https://precisionbullets.com/), and they are accurate, but most coated bullets are hard cast and work best at normal operating pressures.

For action pistol shooting short ranges, and hundreds of rounds between cleanings, hi-tech coating makes for a good choice, economically speaking. But, I still prefer the plated bullets.

Hi-tech(powder coated) is all I shoot. Probably 15k a year of 9mm. I get them from black bullet international. About 6 cents each shipped. I clean my barrel on my uspsa pistol about every 8,000 rounds or so...never an issue

I run the 200gr .452 RNFP from summers enterprises in my 1911's and 45 colts as well. I think they were less than 10 cents each shipped.

I use pc bullets from DG bullets and from Missouri Bullets. Both work fine in my 1911’s and 45 ACP revolvers and you can get them for @$0.10 a bullet delivered - ordered 2000 .45 cal 230 gr from DG bullets last month and they were delivered in less than 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom