• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone seen the TV show storage wars? I’ve got lots to sell

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
220   0
Reaction score
Where they buy a storage bin without knowing what’s in it. Well in the upcoming weeks I’m going to need a lot of stuff moved. My father in law passed in Sept., we moved my mother in law into an assisted living facility soon after. They were married 67 years. We have 67 years worth of stuff to get rid of in order to sell the house. The family has and will be getting what they want to keep but there is just too much to move it all. Other than the house they also have a shed and two 40 ft shipping containers. I know they had at least 4 sets of antique China, a lot of silverware, tools, and more stuff. We will be trying to make some type of general inventory so I’m just throwing this out there to see if anyone is interested in coming on a set date and looking through all the stuff. Perfect scenario would be find someone or a company who would offer an amount to get everything, but that’s probably not gonna happen. Probably gonna be more like a huge yard sale. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of smart ass comments but at this point we just need this stuff gone.

I had to do the same with my father's house in CA. 40yrs of stuff. I had an estate sale for 3 days. What didn't sell I called a place like Habitat for humanity to come take some of it and I wrote that off on his taxes as donations. You could do the same with Goodwill or Salvation Army. After that I still had a pile about 5' wide, 12' long and 3' high that I hired a company to haul to the dump. They took care of all the hazmat as well (paints, cleaners, sprays etc). You could also hire an auction company. I then had to hire another company to make repairs to the home and prepare it for sale. Lot of damn work!

I had to do the same with my father's house in CA. 40yrs of stuff. I had an estate sale for 3 days. What didn't sell I called a place like Habitat for humanity to come take some of it and I wrote that off on his taxes as donations. You could do the same with Goodwill or Salvation Army. After that I still had a pile about 5' wide, 12' long and 3' high that I hired a company to haul to the dump. They took care of all the hazmat as well (paints, cleaners, sprays etc). You could also hire an auction company. I then had to hire another company to make repairs to the home and prepare it for sale. Lot of damn work!
You are correct about all the work. We plan on family picking first, then open it up like an estate/yard sale then anything left goes in a roll back dumpster.

You are throwing away $$$$$$$. Hire an auction company to sell off what the family doesn't want. I have been to several of these up in the Winder/Jefferson area. Everything will sell. I suggest finding a local auction company to handle everything for you and the family.

You are throwing away $$$$$$$. Hire an auction company to sell off what the family doesn't want. I have been to several of these up in the Winder/Jefferson area. Everything will sell. I suggest finding a local auction company to handle everything for you and the family.
It’s not like a lot of antique furniture. It’s mostly just stuff. No estate sale company or auction company wants to assist unless there is a lot of furniture and collections. The main goal is clear it all out so we can sell the house.

You are correct about all the work. We plan on family picking first, then open it up like an estate/yard sale then anything left goes in a roll back dumpster.
Back around Christmas of 18 ( I think) I posted pics of " The Hoarder House" in south Bibb Co. We had to clean it out for the family of the guy that died. It wasn't nasty or anything like that but it WAS packed iver full. The guy had an auction addiction and would bring all kinds of stuff home. When the house got full it went in the garage. When that was full it went to an out building, then another out building. Oh and he was an auto auction addict too. So his back yard looked like an impound lot.
It took months and the biggest roll off available. It was one of those situations where you did NOT put your phone keys or anything else important down because you might not ever find it again. SO many old digital cameras, tube TVs computers,vintage audio equipment office fixtures/supplies. Hell there was a cedar chest full of coffee cups and travel mugs.
It was so overwhelming I came home one day and told my wife "If you aint using it then it's clutter which means throw it out."

Oh I forgot to mention the funniest/saddest part of the hoarder house clean out. We threw SO much stuff in the big rolloff that seemed like junk or useless. But every time we went back to the house there was always some flea bag types rummaging through it . I mean they would be waist deep in junk and trash digging for flea market gems. They would act all guilty and apologetic but I told them if it was in that garbage barge they were more than welcom to it. In fact encouraged to get it since the rolloff would be weighed after they picked it up and charged accordingly.
So point here is that the saying about " One man's trash..." is 100% on point.

I would be interested in taking a looking at clearing it all out depending on how quickly you want it removed

Back
Top Bottom