• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone run plate carrier in 3 gun?

Jack O A T

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
Anyone run or seen 3gun with tactical/plate carrier set up in club matches? Obviously not the fastest, but for general fun and training purposes, why not?
I mean, it's called Tac Ops, right?

It depends on the match. For the ones I've shot locally (Cherokee and South River Atlanta 3gun) you don't need to reload the rifle unless it's a mandatory (I've seen 2 in 10 matches) or unless you have a malfunction.

You have to decide what you're there to do: compete or just learn your gear/have fun.

Sorry, I should have specified shotshell accessibility mainly. I see trying to pull out of a box or bag slow as Christmas. Loose shells on a barrel= Chevy Chase impersonation.

For Cherokee it might work. There's not much shotgun reloading there. It would be murder and you would probably break the 90 sec. par time trying to load that way at A3G or any other "real" 3gun type match. Shell caddies are definitely a barrier to entry in the 3gun game, but really necessary to even play. It's not uncommon to fire 20+ shotgun rounds in a 3gun stage and usually there's a mix of slug/buck/bird. Not that I'm very good, but here's a stage from the last A3G match. With every movement from my belt to my gun I'm loading 2 shells and my tube only holds 8. Imagine doing that one at a time from a vest or even a side saddle:

For Cherokee it might work. There's not much shotgun reloading there. It would be murder and you would probably break the 90 sec. par time trying to load that way at A3G or any other "real" 3gun type match. Shell caddies are definitely a barrier to entry in the 3gun game, but really necessary to even play. It's not uncommon to fire 20+ shotgun rounds in a 3gun stage and usually there's a mix of slug/buck/bird. Not that I'm very good, but here's a stage from the last A3G match. With every movement from my belt to my gun I'm loading 2 shells and my tube only holds 8. Imagine doing that one at a time from a vest or even a side saddle:

Looks pretty good to me! Thanks for the vid. That A3G does look pretty high speed. Guess I'll have to wait to see if I step up my game before trying there. GMSA at Toccoa is running a 3G match on 5th Saturdays, which is where I plan to go. SRGC is a lot closer though.
Out of curiosity, are you in the minority with the 8rd tube? Wondering about 22" 8+1 vs 24" 9+1.

Looks pretty good to me! Thanks for the vid. That A3G does look pretty high speed. Guess I'll have to wait to see if I step up my game before trying there. GMSA at Toccoa is running a 3G match on 5th Saturdays, which is where I plan to go. SRGC is a lot closer though.
Out of curiosity, are you in the minority with the 8rd tube? Wondering about 22" 8+1 vs 24" 9+1.
Yes, most are running 10 or 12 rnd tubes nowadays. It's a class thing, though. Factory (used to be called tac-irons) only allows an 8 round tube and a non-magnified optic on the rifle (I use an Aimpoint). If you want a variable scope and a longer shotgun tube, you'll be in Practical (used to be called tac-optics). For the 2 matches I shoot, 100 yds is the max with 20yds and closer being 90% of the rifle shooting. I've found I'm MUCH faster with a dot at those distances vs a 1-4 type scope unless it's one if the $1,000+ ones. I'm just not to the point of spending that much money on a scope for a game I only play once a month.

Here's what a rifle/shotgun mixture stage looks like. This was my best stage finish at the last match and I took 14/101 overall and 2nd in Factory division with this run (shotgun had to be staged unloaded, so that's why you see me loading from the get-go):

Yes, most are running 10 or 12 rnd tubes nowadays. It's a class thing, though. Factory (used to be called tac-irons) only allows an 8 round tube and a non-magnified optic on the rifle (I use an Aimpoint). If you want a variable scope and a longer shotgun tube, you'll be in Practical (used to be called tac-optics). For the 2 matches I shoot, 100 yds is the max with 20yds and closer being 90% of the rifle shooting. I've found I'm MUCH faster with a dot at those distances vs a 1-4 type scope unless it's one if the $1,000+ ones. I'm just not to the point of spending that much money on a scope for a game I only play once a month.

Here's what a rifle/shotgun mixture stage looks like. This was my best stage finish at the last match and I took 14/101 overall and 2nd in Factory division with this run (shotgun had to be staged unloaded, so that's why you see me loading from the get-go):

10-4. Didn't know about the name change. Maybe they took the "Tac" out to keep guys like me from showing up.
It may not be an A3g, but I'll find an excuse to get to SRGC. Maybe a GADPA..... sans plate carrier, of course.

Back
Top Bottom