• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone play airsoft? I need advice

(M)

Default rank <3500 posts
100% Chuck Norris approved
104   0
Reaction score
My 9 year old is interested in getting into airsoft. I have no experience in this realm and could use advice on good starter gear. We're looking to get at least 2 full setups so he can play against siblings and friends. I would guess we're looking for something reliable, durable, 1st time user friendly. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks and God bless.

My only advise would be to take him to a proper field or complex before you spend a ton on money on the hobby. I played paintball for years. You would see parents walk into the shop and spend $700 on a setup for their kids without hesitation. That same young man would walk onto the field and get lit up by an overly aggressive player and never want to play again.

My sons played on a sponsored traveling team for several years...,it was a lot of fun but it can get expensive if you let it.

Walmart and other places sell spring-loaded airsoft guns....they’re not quite as powerful as the electric guns but a new player would never know. That’s an economical way to get started. Don’t skimp on safety....get them a good face mask.

if you'd like to go with electric guns right away, I’d suggest the AEG brand. Try to pick one that already comes with the battery, charger, and a mag or two to save some bucks. They make their money on accessories like the batteries and mags....quite expensive. I’d advise you to avoid buying used gear from other kids..,,the gear takes a beating and will develop issues that are expensive to repair.

Here’s a link if you’d like to window shop a little....
https://www.airsoftatlanta.com/collections/aeg-airsoft-guns

I a
My only advise would be to take him to a proper field or complex before you spend a ton on money on the hobby. I played paintball for years. You would see parents walk into the shop and spend $700 on a setup for their kids without hesitation. That same young man would walk onto the field and get lit up by an overly aggressive player and never want to play again.

I also played paintball for years, man I love that sport. I agree and disagree about going to a field 1st. It's always good to try something before you invest and an established course can be a really neat experience but I own 25 acres and most of the play will be home based with a small group of friends which gives it a completely different feel. I've played every type of paintball there is over the span of 20 years. I started as an eighth grader in 1989/90 with single shot pumps and shop goggles in the back yard and didn't hang it up until a back injury sidelined me in 2010. Back at my beginning there really wasn't any fields around but if I had started off at one I'm not sure I would have continued to play. The bravado, agression and dirty play/cheating you run into at a public course can be off putting to say the least. Especially for a young boy. I tried to steer him towards paintball and he loves my stories but him and his buddies are infatuated with airsoft. It does seem cool and I'm sure he'll love it like I used too. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

My son (now 18) played for a few years when he was younger. I would not waste money on the spring fired stuff because he will be very disappointed in the arena style play where all the kids have semi auto electric and gas operated guns. My son brought spring fired to his first arena outing and we ended up renting guns 5 minutes after Playing with them, and then spend lots of $$ buying his own stuff. It’s and addicting and expensive hobby.

Obviously, you will need to get all the mandatory safety equipment But there is optional stuff like arm pads and knee pads that i would recommend because getting shot on the arm hurts and leaves welts. Knee pads because the kids drop On and off knees aggressively while in “combat”. I also recommend him wearing thick clothes for the same reason as the arm pads. My son got a full camo set up at one point with all the gear. It was quite humorous.

Reactions: (M)
My 1st couple of paintball guns were Tippman's. I had a sl-68 2 and an original pro-am when they 1st came out and got years of play out of them until I progressed to WGP Auto cocker's. I see they have an airsoft line. Are these any good? or has Tippman's day past?

Not sure of brands. My son would pick out what he wanted on the internet and we would usually get it for him for Christmas or a birthday, etc. He did his own research. Now we have a closet full of guns and gear collecting dust. But I’m ready for the squirrel apocalypse!

Tipmann A-2s and Salvos are still something to worry about on the field. A good player can run the field with a midrange setup. What you have to worry about nowadays is that you can get a Planet Eclipse Etha for 400 bucks and those things are stupid for the money. Full programmable to run the max fire rate the field allows and a 10 year old can figure it out.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up buying a couple of Tippman tactical aeg set ups. Fingers crossed they're as good as the reviews say they are and that the new generation of backyard commandos enjoys them as much as I used to enjoy blasting my friends.

Back
Top Bottom