• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone own a freeze dryer?

UptaCamp

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
I've been contemplating a Harvest Right freeze dryer for food preservation. Anyone have and use a freeze dryer?

Been contemplating getting one myself. I do a good bit of hiking and at $10 or so a meal it can get expensive, especially when I take the family of 4.

I have bought the bulk Mountain House freeze dried beef, chicken, and eggs w/bacon then added my own ingredients to compliment. I will dry onions, beans, and peppers in the oven then add to beef with spices for a decent chili.

I think my wife was looking at one that was a little over $2k that had good reviews. The payoff is long, but when my boys turn teenage, it may speed up.

I've been buying from this company which sells dried fruits and vegetables in bulk as well as prepared packets or canisters, https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/

They sell dried and freeze-dried foods. I've bought two large gallon jugs of their freeze-dried vegetable soup starter which is great to use in hamburger soup. The ratio is one-quarter cup of FD veggies per cup of water. My favorite is to use the veggie mix to make hamburger soup and dump in some frozen sliced okra which thickens the soup. When I open a new canister, I always add some oxygen absorbers to maintain the shelf-stable factor.

Bumping an older thread as I've been thinking about investing in one. Now around $3k in price.
Do it. It has been a great investment thus far. I plan to freeze dry a bunch of my ground venison this year instead of freezing it.

What brand did you get? Any accessories that are must have? Not really a prepper; but I like have stuff ready and not ha enough to worry about a freezer going out. Last one cost me 2 deer and bunch of other food.

Back
Top Bottom