• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know how to make good compost from ...

BCM1323654788

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
24   0
Reaction score
Grass clippings, dead leaves (no pine needles), topsoil and dirt found in the woods, random fruit and vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, eggshells, etc.?

I've been giving this a go for about 8 weeks. I bought a 32-gallon Rubbermaid trash can with lid at Lowes and drilled holes in it.

I added a little blood meal organic fertilizer (maybe 1/2 cup) and added a few earthworms I found in the yard. I kept the trash can in the sun with the lid on it.

I think I put too much water on it towards the end of composting it and it stopped it from completely breaking down, however, it was very black/brown in color and had a little bit of an odor to it. Also, the trash can was full when I last filled it and watered it, and tonight it was half full, tightly compacted, and wet.

I think I put 4-5 gallons of water in the trash can 3 times in 8 weeks.

I don't know if I'm doing this right?

I have a second pile of grass clippings I simply dumped out into a pile in the yard. I've left it untouched since I first made it 10 days ago. This pile had grey grass, grey dust, and a little steam in the middle of it tonight. This pile looked too dry, and my first "trash can" compost looked too wet, so what the heck, I mixed them into one big pile in the yard and added some water, but not so much this time.

My plan is to cover it with plastic sheeting and rocks I have and hopefully keep it from drying out too much in the Sun.

I'll be cutting the grass in a day or so and will have fresh clippings that I could add to the pile in the yard, or start making a new batch in the empty trash can. What should I do?

I think I disturbed the pile in the yard with the grey dust, etc. in it tonight by turning it too much. I know I'm supposed to turn it, I just don't know how often, and I'm not sure what happens next after that grey dusty grass is just left alone?

I also think I need one of those thermometers that tells you what stage your pile is in.

If someone could explain the "stages" and help me fine tune my ingredients, turning, and watering, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Here's what it looked like when I started (didn't yet have fruit scraps or grass clippings, etc)...

Will post pic of "new pile" tomorrow.

20180808_114941.jpg
20180808_115006.jpg

I have a huge pile of manure and hay that I am composting now. I throw on food scraps (vegetable), egg shells, coffee grounds and intend on putting the grass clippings from mowing the yard this weekend. I use the tractor to turn it the best that I can every other weekend. I do not water it as it is out in the rain. We shall see how it turns out. Been working it for about 6 months and the manure is still green. It is hot and steaming in the middle, but I can't turn it very well. Made the pile too big in the first place, it is probably 5' tall by 10' deep and 15-20' long. I don't care that the egg shells do not completely decompose, they still add calcium to the soil (or so I think).

There are numerous ways to create compost piles.
The most important is to try to shred everything up as small as you can and you have to keep it mixed up. Leaves need to be shredded. In your trash can method just rolling it around on the ground will help. Keep it moist, not real wet. It has to heat up.
It takes time, but the more nitrogen you add, such as green manure, cow manure, especially chicken manure, the faster it will heat up. BTW the heat will kill the worms.
Patience and you will have some black gold.

So, how long does the compost last after its made? Is it something I can set aside and save, or is it something I can keep alive by adding green bits and vegetable scraps, watering and turning as needed?

Back
Top Bottom