• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here good with (pool) pump motors?

WildMan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
102   0
Reaction score
So after many good years of faithful service my pool pump went out.

I bought a new motor and it works, but Im worried by the noise its making.

Im use to the pump making a hum/thrum, however the new one has a weird oscillating noise. As opposed to a steady humming it has a louder hum followed by the type of hum Im used to.

I know as Im typing thia how weird it sounds but the best I can describe it is WAaahh WAhhh WAhh. Lol.

Ill try to get a video/recording of it if it would help any of you help me in figuring out whats going on.

Thanks for any help.

Not pool pumps but I dealt with pumps in general at work before retiring. Sounds like the load is varying causing extra stress on the motor. Make sure all air is removed, no restrictions on the inlet and outlet and the shaft connection isn't binding. Hope this helps.

Not pool pumps but I dealt with pumps in general at work before retiring. Sounds like the load is varying causing extra stress on the motor. Make sure all air is removed, no restrictions on the inlet and outlet and the shaft connection isn't binding. Hope this helps.

Sounds like to me it's the pump bushing and not the motor.

Is it leaking or motor getting hot and tripping a breaker?

Thanks ya'll.

It is warm, but not more so than they usually run and its not tripping. The voltage was good before I put it in.

Its not leaking and I did make sure It had been primed full of water in the pump.

I'll take it back apart and and check it's securement and gaskets.

Yeah definitely check the pump seals, between the motor and pump housing, those are usually a culprit of a lot of problems. Not sure what kind of motor and if it came with a new one, but also make sure the starter capacitor is good.

Back
Top Bottom