• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here buy stocks?

I would say you are not looking for a broker... But a Financial Planner that can help manage your funds.... Conservatively ...

There are a few in the Atlanta area... I do not use one, so I won't recommend one.... They will be happy to meet and explain their approaches...

This.

Please study up on the role of different financial advisors.

A broker makes money from transactions. Good, bad, sideways, - he gets a commission.

The biggest thing to remember about using a broker is that he has no fiduciary duty to you. If the firm tells him to move a certain stock, he's going to move that stock.

If you are serious, a fee paid financial consultant is your best bet - one who is not trying to sell you anything. There's a resistance to paying an upfront fee, because people view it as "lost money", but it's the only way to play on a level field.

We've been using a broker. We are about to change who we are using. We have lost about 7% in the last 20 months. I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. Needless to say I am pissed. How can you lose that much while stocks have been going up? I get that there is some fluctuation but we never went above our initial investment. I've been thinking about taking some of the money that we put into it and playing around with it a little bit for fun. I just started doing some research so I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet but soon though. I am always open to info
Get you account with FIdelity low fees and commissions

Buy beat up stocks like MO, altria, 7.7% dividend, big sell off.

:thumb:
For long term investments seek out stocks that have Dividend plus Growth potential.
-- see Dividend Aristocrat - a company that not only pays a dividend consistently but continuously increases the size of its payouts for at least 25yrs(so this includes the 2008/2009 yrs).

MO & T(at&t) fall into this category, I've been slowly(i.e. cost averaging) buying into these companies for the past 6 months.

Good Luck out there! :pray2:

WBA is a good turn around stock, walgreens, up 6 % today.

KHC, kraft-heinz, also good turn around. Buffett is a big holder of this company and is not about to let anything go bad wrong here although they might temmpararily cut the dividend.

:thumb:
For long term investments seek out stocks that have Dividend plus Growth potential.
-- see Dividend Aristocrat - a company that not only pays a dividend consistently but continuously increases the size of its payouts for at least 25yrs(so this includes the 2008/2009 yrs).

MO & T(at&t) fall into this category, I've been slowly(i.e. cost averaging) buying into these companies for the past 6 months.

Good Luck out there! :pray2:
big fan of altria

never heard of dividend aristocrat??

I miss spoke. Financial planner is what I meant. The guy we are using currently was very eager to help us but it appears all he's doing is collecting his fees. We are set to meet with a new one in a couple weeks to see what he can do. According to our current one I should have a few million in the bank buy the time I'm 60 but at the rate i'm going I won't have any money. Maybe I'm unrealistic I don't know, but I expected to see some growth in 20 months.
https://www.daveramsey.com/smartvestor
This can be very helpful in finding a couple good Financial Planners/Investing Agency in your area, that have been "vetted". According to Dave Ramsey, and from what I've seen in my searching: 10-12% growth rate in mutual funds/index funds is the "norm" especially with the market since 2012 or so.

https://www.daveramsey.com/smartvestor
This can be very helpful in finding a couple good Financial Planners/Investing Agency in your area, that have been "vetted". According to Dave Ramsey, and from what I've seen in my searching: 10-12% growth rate in mutual funds/index funds is the "norm" especially with the market since 2012 or so.

Why pay unnecessary fees when you can just go through Vanguard?

If you have a 401k, many companies have their own financial brokers who create portfolios you can invest in. Gives you layouts on profile performances since it began to up to 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom