• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone going early season squirrel hunting?

clisbyclark

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
14   0
Reaction score
I noticed the season starts about two weeks from now and usually don't really care about going out much til it cools off a bit, but the freezer is empty and seriously considering hitting the woods when the season opens.

It’s weird, I don’t see a lot of squirrels around here, first place I’ve ever lived where that was the case. I was constantly on bird feeder duty with the Ruger American Rimfire and suppressor at the last house. I’d kill a dozen and 2 dozen would replace them.

I did run up a couple small rabbits the other day while bush hogging. I’d love to get a few families of them around the home front. I prefer eating them to squirrels.

I have a rebarreled, hogue stock, White Mountain barreled, mueller apv scope Ruger 10/22 that is really too heavy for much woods walking but a killer on squirrels. Using exclusively CCI Velocitors, I can put 10 rounds in a 1 " target dot (from a bench) at 75 years. Drop is 3" at 100 Yards although just on paper. Squirrel is easy with it. Prefer it a bit colder, still have lots of venison to eat.

I have a rebarreled, hogue stock, White Mountain barreled, mueller apv scope Ruger 10/22 that is really too heavy for much woods walking but a killer on squirrels. Using exclusively CCI Velocitors, I can put 10 rounds in a 1 " target dot (from a bench) at 75 years. Drop is 3" at 100 Yards although just on paper. Squirrel is easy with it. Prefer it a bit colder, still have lots of venison to eat.
thats a long shot..;););)

IT IS A LONG SHOT. I was more interested in what kind of accuracy I could get with the gun and ammo (hence the bench shooting) than a hunting rig. The Velocitors are a full 40 grain hollow point traveling at an advertised 1435 FPS so i moved from 50 yards sight in to 75. Didn't really build it for hunting (too heavy for walking around all day).

Back
Top Bottom