• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone Familiar With Owls?

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
I've had a large barn owl living in the woods behind my house for several years. Starting at dusk it would start talking and it would go just about until first light. As of the last few months we've suddenly got an owl that's talking all day. At 1:00 in the afternoon with the sun beating down it will be up in the trees talking. I walked back there this afternoon to try to get an eye on it and it seemed to be talking to another owl 3-4 houses down. I got about 30 yards away from the tree it was in and it turned and flew off towards the other owl. This was one very large bird. Coloration was very similar to a Great Horned Owl. Very splotchy browns, grey and white. I didn't think a Great Horned Owl was diurnal and this bird definitely seems to be.

Anyone have any guesses what species owl we may have acquired? With it being that time of year it may just be stopping in our area during it's migration because of my chickens. It's been here a month or two though so I am assuming it ran off my Barn Owl. I'll try to get a photo in the mean time.

They love mice! I have a few that talk all night too. I enjoy them
Monteen McCord on Facebook is the queen of owls, she is a rescue lady

giphy (2).gif

I've had a large barn owl living in the woods behind my house for several years. Starting at dusk it would start talking and it would go just about until first light. As of the last few months we've suddenly got an owl that's talking all day. At 1:00 in the afternoon with the sun beating down it will be up in the trees talking. I walked back there this afternoon to try to get an eye on it and it seemed to be talking to another owl 3-4 houses down. I got about 30 yards away from the tree it was in and it turned and flew off towards the other owl. This was one very large bird. Coloration was very similar to a Great Horned Owl. Very splotchy browns, grey and white. I didn't think a Great Horned Owl was diurnal and this bird definitely seems to be.

Anyone have any guesses what species owl we may have acquired? With it being that time of year it may just be stopping in our area during it's migration because of my chickens. It's been here a month or two though so I am assuming it ran off my Barn Owl. I'll try to get a photo in the mean time.
I would love to see a picture of it. We have barred owl's up here.

Back
Top Bottom