• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever raccoon hunted????

I've killed a bunch of them, but never hunted with dogs. Any time I walk outside after dark, I shine a flashlight around the ground and trees. Their eyes shine from a long ways off. I've also trapped them in live traps and dog proof traps using catfood for bait. I trapped 7, plus 3 possums around my chicken coop last year in a 2 week period.

I carried a .22 pistol. (Almost) never shot to kill. You pisss'em off by shooting them in the rump. Get one mad enough and he'll come down to whoop some dogs. Let the dogs do the killing. Makes them hunt better. Great way to enjoy some peace and quiet, too. Find a hunting partner who can hunt without talking too much, sit on a log, and listen to the dogs.

I knew several people with dogs back in the 70’s there were plenty of timber company land around mid ga,now you would restricted to private land or wma’s.Had a Sunday school teacher when I was a boy that would take us the following Friday night if we showed up to Sunday school.that was the good ol days.

Oh hell yes. Dog hunting is great. Get deep in the swamp at 2 am in freezing rain. Dog definitely will lead you in a circle.

About the only way to do it is with a good dog. I hadn't been in years but it sure was fun. Far as caliber they are small game so you'd have to follow regulations on that. They are good to eat IF they are fixed right but only if done right. Btw I never come across one that had rabies and we got several through the years.

Back
Top Bottom