• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else hearing about this?

There was a court case that a lawyer argued that the upper should be considered the firearm not the lower. The upper is where all the magic happens and the lower just holds the fire control mechanisms. There is some inconsistency on what is the control parts with some guns being the lower and a gun similar being the upper. I believe the US mainly left it to manufacturers to put serial numbers on gun and where they put serial number that was control part. In Europe the FNC upper is the firearm and here it's the lower. That's a main reason it's hard to get replacement parts for some weapons here.
I don't think they will require anything on existing guns but in the future they might require upper & lower serial number marked. Considering an AR and people changing out uppers and lowers I think they would have to be 2 separate serial numbers or it would be confusing. The worse case would be upper & lower would be married on new guns with matching serial numbers and existing pre-bull crud law lowers could be matched with older non serialized uppers

One of the reasons I think that our best days as a nation are already behind us, even before the Wuhan virus hoax, is that most people believe that our government somehow exists for the benefit of the people.

The people that believe this are the ones on government subsidy programs and don't own a gun and gripe about anyone who does, but would expect everyone who owns a gun to protect them when SHTF happens.

There was a court case that a lawyer argued that the upper should be considered the firearm not the lower. The upper is where all the magic happens and the lower just holds the fire control mechanisms. There is some inconsistency on what is the control parts with some guns being the lower and a gun similar being the upper. I believe the US mainly left it to manufacturers to put serial numbers on gun and where they put serial number that was control part. In Europe the FNC upper is the firearm and here it's the lower. That's a main reason it's hard to get replacement parts for some weapons here.
I don't think they will require anything on existing guns but in the future they might require upper & lower serial number marked. Considering an AR and people changing out uppers and lowers I think they would have to be 2 separate serial numbers or it would be confusing. The worse case would be upper & lower would be married on new guns with matching serial numbers and existing pre-bull crud law lowers could be matched with older non serialized uppers

The lawyer argued that the GCA '68 specified the components that had to me marked, and defined the 'receiver' as:

"That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breech-block, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel."

As you can see the lower fits some of this definition (hammer and firing mechanism) while the upper fits other parts (bolt and receiving the barrel).

You can see why the ATF chose the lower rather than the upper as the the one part that made it a 'gun', but it could just as easily have gone the other way and made just as much sense.

I think in the end the ATF will stick with the current definition mainly because it would be a logistical nightmare to do anything else. And in the end, I think the courts will agree that on an AR it's a 50/50 split, and let the lower stand as the 'receiver' for an AR.

It could be a wild ride until that point though, and with the wrong politicians and courts, we could end with both parts being serialized, like they have to do in Canada now.

The lawyer argued that the GCA '68 specified the components that had to me marked, and defined the 'receiver' as:

"That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breech-block, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel."

As you can see the lower fits some of this definition (hammer and firing mechanism) while the upper fits other parts (bolt and receiving the barrel).

You can see why the ATF chose the lower rather than the upper as the the one part that made it a 'gun', but it could just as easily have gone the other way and made just as much sense.

I think in the end the ATF will stick with the current definition mainly because it would be a logistical nightmare to do anything else. And in the end, I think the courts will agree that on an AR it's a 50/50 split, and let the lower stand as the 'receiver' for an AR.

It could be a wild ride until that point though, and with the wrong politicians and courts, we could end with both parts being serialized, like they have to do in Canada now.

One of the interesting background issues is that internal ATF documents showed that they recognized the problem years ago, but enforced the rule on AR-15s anyway.

I think they will redefine the definition of "receiver" because they have the same problem with the new modular guns such as the Sig 320.

I hope not. What a mess that would be. For example every pistol upper would have to be serialized and registered as an SBR.

Richard Blumenthal recently introduced a bill similar to one he tried to pass in 2018 that addresses this and "Ghost" guns. Trying their best to take your rights.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/05/14/senate-democratsghost-guns-256968

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You mean Dick "the war hero" Blumenthal that never misses an opportunity to get on TV? I thought I'd never hear that di**wads name again after moving here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/nyregion/18blumenthal.html

https://safetyharborfirearms.com/product/shtf-50-single-shot-upper-conversion/
That's a serialized upper that requires a FFL Transfer. I hope it never comes to the point of both, although a 80% upper shouldn't be that hard.. drill some take down pin holes, mill/dremel the ejection port.. that might not constitute 80% Finishing the front would be a pain, either threading or precisely machining for barrel fit.

Attachments

• 15.11.001-SHF-22.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom