• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else have a close relationship with their older sibling?

My brother and sister from my dad's previous marriage never wanted anything to do with me until Dad got sick. They started hanging around and it wasn't until after he died did I realize what was really going on..... I had to buy back my own property, lost over 30 guns (including his retirement 357 with his badge#), they sold the house on the other property, got all the life insurance policies, except one (the one I used to pay for his funeral), and basically vanished. All because he wasn't in his right frame of mind and they got him to change the will, or he was in his right frame of mind and just really never liked me and lied about the property being mine lol. Either way, I am done with siblings...

Sent from my LGL455DL using Tapatalk

Death and wills bring out the worst in siblings,my oldest brother whom disowned the family 30 years ago,contested the will which did not include him.
My brother miraculously came back into the family when my mother was just days from passing away.

Death and wills bring out the worst in siblings,my oldest brother whom disowned the family 30 years ago,contested the will which did not include him.
My brother miraculously came back into the family when my mother was just days from passing away.
Yep, vultures start circling as soon as they see that there's something to be gained by the loss of a "dear loved one".

I am an only child, don't speak with my mother or anyone from her side of the family they are all manipulative and toxic. The phrase "blood is thicker than water" is total BS. I tried for many years but decided life is to short to be around people that make you miserable. And according to them I am a black sheep that's cold hearted F'em.

Yeah, me either. And now as we’re both in our late 30’s with kids (feeling guilt that she never sees us) she wants to manipulate my wife into thinking Im the reason that she -as the older sister- had nothing to do with our family growing up and that I need to reconcile. How do you reconcile with someone who willingly broke off from the family tree? The only feeling I had prior to her trying to manipulate my wife was a feeling of indifference. Now Im officially pissed. Rant over. For now.
Nobody can decides what's right for your family but you.
I'm the youngest of 5 so yeah, I have 4 older siblings. I get along great with 3. The 4th one, who 'tries' to be a master manipulator and mooch (he has serious issues) finally got tired of the rest of us as we just weren't going to fall for any of it and HE voluntarily unplugged from the family over 10 years ago. While I think it is sad, he's a grown man. Having said that, if he suddenly decided he wanted to re-engage I'd have no ill will, at all. But I still wouldn't buy into his garbage and he knows that. So I'm suspecting he will never see his family again. Again, his choice.
We are only given so many heartbeats in life. If you spend them worrying about or trying to change others, you are wasting those gifts.

I have a sister 11 years older than me. I was always the black sheep of the family. Actually I guess I still am. We text every now and then. Birthdays and holidays. But thats it. Is what it is.

I just connected with a half sister that’s 20 yrs older than me.I found out about her 30 yrs ago but we never met or talked.Lives on the beach property my dad bought in the 1950s. Sweet lady, said if I was ever in Virginia, I have a place to stay. Sort of strange but cool.

I am the older sibling, by 8 years. Got one younger brother. We get closer as time goes by. He's got two little ones, both under 6. Mine are nearly grown, 19 and 17. He'll call me up when his are really wearing on him. I'll laugh my ass off at him and assure him it gets better.....suck it up buttercup; you wanted this!

He's a good dad. His kids are a handful, but aren't they all.

FWIW, he and I both grew up in a family situation the put the fun in dysfunctional.

Amazing that either one of us turned out halfway decent.
I guess being around relatives that are manipulative POS makes you want to do better by your own.
Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom