• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone do window replacement?

CBH13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
164   0
Reaction score
Pretty straightforward. Have a 1000sqft brick ranch that was built in the 50s with about 14 windows i need replaced due to age. Wood all seems to be fine so just need the windows replaced and then have all of the existing wood capped with PVC on the outside. Will also be looking at replacing hte front door.

Have gotten a couple quotes but just shopping around before pulling the trigger.

If these are standard double hung windows they are easy to replace. HD and Lowes sells them for less than $200 each and a decent handyman with a helper should be able to do them for not much money in one day. Good caulking skills and cutting and painting the 3 pieces of window stop are important.

If these are standard double hung windows they are easy to replace. HD and Lowes sells them for less than $200 each and a decent handyman with a helper should be able to do them for not much money in one day. Good caulking skills and cutting and painting the 3 pieces of window stop are important.

yah i dont think they're too difficult its just a matter of trying to figure out if i can actually save that much doing it myself vs having a pro do it. I had a buddy that did his and we looked at material and are fairly confidant we can do it for 300 per window without labor and thats for replacing them and then capping all of the old outside wood with PVC. I've had one person come out and they quoted me just over 400 per so it looking like i could probobly save around 1000 doing it myself. but im debating if that savings is worth not having a warranty on the work and having to take a couple of days off of work.

If the brick molding is in good shape then there is no reason to cap it. Warranty from a window company isn't worth much. As long as you get the window shimmed and caulked properly you are good to go. I've done a couple of my rental houses with a helper.

Brick house here and replaced my own 8 years ago. Price the windows and then double it for labor. I had 8 windows replaced by pros and did the other 15 myself. Saved myself around $4k. Also done with pvc molding.

If the brick molding is in good shape then there is no reason to cap it. Warranty from a window company isn't worth much. As long as you get the window shimmed and caulked properly you are good to go. I've done a couple of my rental houses with a helper.

haha nah i got the best reason possible to cap it, the wife thinks it looks like **** lol.

in all honesty the brick molding structurally is fine but is also 60 years old + and has just gotten to where it looks rough and i've confirmed it has old lead paint. So just between that and the wife i know for a fact im going to have to cap it.

im confident i COULD do it if i had to but its just also the fact of trying to get it done quickly without having to take off of work and then having it all look 100% right vs the prob 80-90% i'd get it there myself.

Back
Top Bottom