• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone check/track their average progressive speed?

owen58

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
167   0
Reaction score
During this downtime, I'm doing some loading. Over the past few days, I've run quite a bit of 9mm luger. Last night, I decided to keep a count of how many I was completing per hour.

To be fair, I started with cases that were previously cleaned, sized and primed. Due to the Hornady LnL AP's very problematic priming system and the frequent breaking of deprime pins on sizing dies, a couple of years ago, I began to deprime in a separate process and prime off the press. I use a lee universal depriming die on the LNL, then resize on the LNL using typical sizing dies minus the deprime pin, then prime using either a Lee auto prime or an RCBS hand priming tool. Obviously, I can deprime and size very quickly. And I often sit in front of the tv in the evening and prime a couple hundred while watching and relaxing.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the LNL AP for non-precision rounds (other than the really frustrating priming system of course). I run my precision stuff on a fantastic MEC Marksman.

Anyway, last night I ran subsonic 124gr 9mm. I started with a press fully setup and ready to go, and a bag full of cases already sized and primed. I set the timer and began. My regimen for safety and consistency involves checking the coal on every 10th round and weighing the powder charge of every 11th round twice (once on a digital scale and a 2nd time on a balance beam scale). I didn't change anything about my routine or rush. When the timer beeped indicating and hour had passed, I stopped and counted. I had run 418 rounds.

What do your rates look like? How do you manage safety and consistency in your process, and how does that slow your speed?

My casual rate on a Dillon 650 is 300/hour or 100/20mins. That is with a case feeder, unprimed brass. I can do 500/hour if I preload the primer refill tubes, and start with deprimed brass.

I confess: I do not check anything once I have the Press setup. I check the bullets in their completed form as I load the magazines to shoot them. I look for good primer seating, and good Bullet seating.

The production rates are all about the same to me in both LnL and 650xl. I dont drink either of the koolaids. I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you are having issues with your LnL primers, I recommend few changes.
1) Cam wire cap. This completely fixes issues with cam regarding the primer feed
https://www.blackcatworks.com/Hornady-LNL-AP-Primer-Cam-Wire-Bracket_p_15.html

2) Primer selection. CCI, S&B works best. winchester, Tulammo can be iffy

3) Set the primer alignment properly and you will never miss a primer

If you are having issues with breaking de-primer pins:
1) remove the de-primer rod
2) start with a resized brass in de-prime position #1.
3) bring the bras into the die (without the rod). cam over the top and leave it in.
4) insert your de-primer rod into the die/brass. tighten while the pin is in the brass
5) bring the brass back down

What you have done now using this process is to align the de-priming rod in the right spot for a brass that is aligned with your die.

You should be able to de-prime without issues going forward.

Just keep in mind that hornady has a tight tolerance and the tolerance is jeapordized by how fast you bring a brass into the die. so slow it down when you resize

If this doesnt work for you, then use Lee Dies. The de-primer is much more stout

I make it a point to load a 100rds of 9mm a day, on the Dillon average rate about 20min. by the time the weekend rolls around 500rds for range time.

I can do 1000 per hour on my 650 if the primer tubes are already filled. Nothing fancy with the brass. Just sorted and dry tumbled.

I usually don’t try to hustle that hard though. Maybe 600 an hour is normal rate.

My casual rate on a Dillon 650 is 300/hour or 100/20mins. That is with a case feeder, unprimed brass. I can do 500/hour if I preload the primer refill tubes, and start with deprimed brass.

I confess: I do not check anything once I have the Press setup. I check the bullets in their completed form as I load the magazines to shoot them. I look for good primer seating, and good Bullet seating.

I have considered this, especially since my checks show only very minor variances. But I guess my OCD just won't let me.

The production rates are all about the same to me in both LnL and 650xl. I dont drink either of the koolaids. I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you are having issues with your LnL primers, I recommend few changes.
1) Cam wire cap. This completely fixes issues with cam regarding the primer feed
https://www.blackcatworks.com/Hornady-LNL-AP-Primer-Cam-Wire-Bracket_p_15.html

2) Primer selection. CCI, S&B works best. winchester, Tulammo can be iffy

3) Set the primer alignment properly and you will never miss a primer

If you are having issues with breaking de-primer pins:
1) remove the de-primer rod
2) start with a resized brass in de-prime position #1.
3) bring the bras into the die (without the rod). cam over the top and leave it in.
4) insert your de-primer rod into the die/brass. tighten while the pin is in the brass
5) bring the brass back down

What you have done now using this process is to align the de-priming rod in the right spot for a brass that is aligned with your die.

You should be able to de-prime without issues going forward.

Just keep in mind that hornady has a tight tolerance and the tolerance is jeapordized by how fast you bring a brass into the die. so slow it down when you resize

If this doesnt work for you, then use Lee Dies. The de-primer is much more stout

Thanks for the wire cap tip!...and the great advice. Adjusting the die/rod to the brass is a an ideal setup. I'm curious though, do you find that mixing headstamps creates a problem with this approach?

I make it a point to load a 100rds of 9mm a day, on the Dillon average rate about 20min. by the time the weekend rolls around 500rds for range time.
I like your approach! I'm careful to avoid any sort of distractions while I'm loading. I won't even listen to music. I find that after about an hour, my mind can begin to drift. So for me, keeping the sessions short is actually a safety measure.

I can do 1000 per hour on my 650 if the primer tubes are already filled. Nothing fancy with the brass. Just sorted and dry tumbled.

I usually don’t try to hustle that hard though. Maybe 600 an hour is normal rate.

Wow! 1000 an hour, that's cookin. Even 600 an hour is really impressive. Is the 650 the only progressive you've used?

Back
Top Bottom