• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody into Bonsai Tree growing ?

Many Many years ago I met Father Arma at the Georgia Monastery in Conyers and he showed me some of the Bonsai trees he raised and how to train them to grow..It was fascinating wish I had started just to many thing going...
They have a monastic heritage center now with a really nice bonsai garden as the centerpiece and one of the nicer garden centers in the Atlanta area.

I have a kind of moss that grown in spots on my property..It peels off easy and would make a great base, green cover for Bonsai trees. Just don't have the time or patience to train one...

I was'nt aware that we had another "Bonsai" guy on here.
I'm in the same boat, been raising and working on my collection for years. Now with my wife in her condition it's becoming too hard to give them the love they need and I've been trying to find homes for mine.
I was going to have a plant sale in the spring but the kung flu took care of that.
If you look on the Atlanta Bonsai Society website they have for sale section.
The Monastery will also take plants on consignment but honestly I'm not sure they're open at the minute you'd have to call.
Good luck I know how painful it is to give up the things you've spent so much of your time taking care of.

To be honest my plants are not 'Bonsai" 's tho the idea attracts me , but in 2020 I've found there is to much to do along with nothing to do ??? Hmmm funny how that works .

My plants would make good ones for anyone interested , with that said , I still love my plants & hope to have a plant sale here in the next couple months or ill give many away also.

Thanks for the link , ill check out the Monastery & the Society .
GD & Best of luck with your plants .

A couple of mine, I usually clip the buds in the fall.

View attachment 2757374
View attachment 2757375

Who would have thought ?

I guess if you control the lighting & the temp of-course an 'Annual' like that would keep growing .

PS , That's how I got my "Green" thumb some 30 + years ago .

To Bad it's still a Fed Crime , but 'Peaceful Protests ' are OK :tape2:

I've killed two that I've bought, so wouldn't be the best candidate to keep yours alive. If you have any tips on growing one indoors though, I'd appreciate it.

Bought one at a farmers market & the other at Walmart. Both were juniper looking & kept them in front of a window on my desk. Wife thinks I over watered them but I think it was under watering. They both slowly yellowed then died

I've killed two that I've bought, so wouldn't be the best candidate to keep yours alive. If you have any tips on growing one indoors though, I'd appreciate it.

Bought one at a farmers market & the other at Walmart. Both were juniper looking & kept them in front of a window on my desk. Wife thinks I over watered them but I think it was under watering. They both slowly yellowed then died
I have to agree with your wife on this one I'm afraid, if they were coniferous then indoors really isn't the best location and it's easy to overwater junipers and such.
Yellowing is typically a sign of overwatering as a rule unless it's in drought conditions. The aforementioned scheffleras make much better indoor bonsais.

I have to agree with your wife on this one I'm afraid, if they were coniferous then indoors really isn't the best location and it's easy to overwater junipers and such.
Yellowing is typically a sign of overwatering as a rule unless it's in drought conditions. The aforementioned scheffleras make much better indoor bonsais.
Thx, read up on them & it said to keep the soil most & even recommended soaking them in a bowl or bucket but maybe that's if kept outside

Thx, read up on them & it said to keep the soil most & even recommended soaking them in a bowl or bucket but maybe that's if kept outside
We typically use a lava rock or other well draining medium in place of soil necessitating the need for daily watering. Plants bedded in soil which retain moisture don't have that need for a constant wetting.

That "Sux' for a lack of better words , wish I had advice but we live and learn , so trying has educated you already if you choose to try again .
Good Day

I'm learning here also , Thanks 'HERMET'.

Back
Top Bottom