• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody Cold Smoke Salmon?

I cold smoke salmon. It’s funny because I’m out salmon fishing now on Lake Ontario. I have a side box on my Bradley. I lay the fish down in 50-50 Morton tender quick and brown sugar. Cover the filets with that on both sides, cover and put them in the fridge overnight. Then take them out and wash them, pat dry and lay them on a rack with a fan blowing over them until you see a carnival glass look on the filets. Put them in the smoker with Alder wood and let the smoke do it’s magic without heat. When they are close to done brush on some honey and enjoy.
You can layer them bad boys with lemon&lime while in the fridge too. I know it's not traditional because the acid starts cooking the fish but dang is it good. Nice Post.

HECK TO THE YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! on a cedar plank too (i doubt it helps much being cold smoked?)
Grilled on a cedar plank it’s very good. Cold smoked it’s something else. There is a big difference even between hot smoked and cold smoked. Nothing wrong with either method, whatever suits your tastes it’s good.

Grilled on a cedar plank it’s very good. Cold smoked it’s something else. There is a big difference even between hot smoked and cold smoked. Nothing wrong with either method, whatever suits your tastes it’s good.
I learned years ago how to cold smoke on a smoker (HillBilly style). Hardly any heat and the same finished product or better imo. You are correct though.

Sometimes, especially when i have to fork out the big bucks at the fish department, i envy those bears standing in the middle of the river and feasting on the most fresh, free salmon they can catch. My consolation ? Theirs it’s not smoked !! Ha !

I use a charbroil barrel grill with a side firebox where i use a stainless tube filled with sawdust as the smoke generator. You can also use pellets, i have never tried them. Something like this.

Attachments

• 737AB91E-5A23-4554-A80E-A5119E817CE3.jpeg
    737AB91E-5A23-4554-A80E-A5119E817CE3.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom