• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody Cold Smoke Salmon?

My recipe is copied and adapted, and modified to fit my taste.
i get usually a whole salmon, file and trim myself. If a big specimen, i use the belly part, that gives best results.
once filed, i place it in a oblong glass pan, cover with bourbon, put a plastic film on the pan and let sit for four hours in the fridge. Take it out, pat dry with some towels. Empty the pan, wipe dry.
make a mixture of equal parts kosher salt and sugar, lemon zest from a lemon and chopped dill, about 1 cup. Place half the mixture in the glass pan, place the fish skinside down, cover with the other half of mixture, plastic film on, and in fridge goes for 24 hours. Remove from pan, rinse with cold water, pat dry , place uncovered on a rack in the fridge for 12 hours. It will form that pellicle on the surface. Smoke for 12 hours, slowly, and make sure it is cold smoke. I do not reccomend doing it now in the august heat. I use hickory, cherry or apple sawdust that smolders slowly. When done smoking, i wrap it in plastic film and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
time to eat, cut thin slices, if you cut obliquely, wil make larger slices. I like it most in a bagel with cream cheese, sliced cucumbers, sliced onions, capers and a splash of lemon juice. It is heavenly ! I reccomend to be used up within a week. Enjoy !!
Where do you get your whole salmon from?

I've tried it. Very hard to do because the ambient temp is almost always over the 70 deg. temp that is ideal for cold smoking.

I have a BBQ trailer that is built from a 500 gallon propane tank.

I built a really small charcoal fire with plenty of wet chips in one end of the smoker on a relatively cool day. I have a double rack, so on the other end I set out a hotel pan tray full of ice, and on the top rack, put the fish. Smoke temp at the fire end was approx. 120, at the smoking end, 70-80 degs.

Tried it several times, the results weren't "bad" just not really cold smoked - just hard to do with our ambient temp, and the humidity figures into it too.

I make gravlax all the time, described above, Depending on how long you cure it, will keep a good while. True gravlax is not smoked, I put a very light very short smoke on mine so it doesn't cook. Have even put 3 or 4 short smokes to keep from cooking the fish.

My recipe is copied and adapted, and modified to fit my taste.
i get usually a whole salmon, file and trim myself. If a big specimen, i use the belly part, that gives best results.
once filed, i place it in a oblong glass pan, cover with bourbon, put a plastic film on the pan and let sit for four hours in the fridge. Take it out, pat dry with some towels. Empty the pan, wipe dry.
make a mixture of equal parts kosher salt and sugar, lemon zest from a lemon and chopped dill, about 1 cup. Place half the mixture in the glass pan, place the fish skinside down, cover with the other half of mixture, plastic film on, and in fridge goes for 24 hours. Remove from pan, rinse with cold water, pat dry , place uncovered on a rack in the fridge for 12 hours. It will form that pellicle on the surface. Smoke for 12 hours, slowly, and make sure it is cold smoke. I do not reccomend doing it now in the august heat. I use hickory, cherry or apple sawdust that smolders slowly. When done smoking, i wrap it in plastic film and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
time to eat, cut thin slices, if you cut obliquely, wil make larger slices. I like it most in a bagel with cream cheese, sliced cucumbers, sliced onions, capers and a splash of lemon juice. It is heavenly ! I reccomend to be used up within a week. Enjoy !!
How does that bourbon taste after you take the salmon out?:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom