• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tricks to consistently catching suspended fish?

Jmitchell1975

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
This is on the lake in my neighborhood as you can see in the sonar pic they’re suspended on the thermocline I suspect. I’ve tried swim baits, trolling with various baits, rattle traps, deep divers etc. this is just a sample of what I’m used to seeing. There are some crappie slabs and big bass among scores of sunfish of various types. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FA5E0B62-3892-47AD-BB62-6A7785D5DAE0.jpeg
    FA5E0B62-3892-47AD-BB62-6A7785D5DAE0.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 107
I have had good results jigging thermoclines with an old red and white spoon.
I was about to say spoon too. If you can figure out how to count it down you’ll be golden. Pull ten ft of line out and drop it from the tip of the rod in the water counting it down. You’ll catch them fish

This is on the lake in my neighborhood as you can see in the sonar pic they’re suspended on the thermocline I suspect. I’ve tried swim baits, trolling with various baits, rattle traps, deep divers etc. this is just a sample of what I’m used to seeing. There are some crappie slabs and big bass among scores of sunfish of various types. Thanks in advance!

Man, that is a great sonar pic! What model is that? I fish for crappie regularly year round. Right now, I’m about the only one catching them. What is the water color in your lake?

I troll Bandit 300 series crankbaits on 12 lb line. I use and have success with various colors. My trolling speed is 1.6-1.8 mph. Depending on how much line you have out, they will get 12+ feet deep. The ones that catch the most fish for me are Grenada Shad, Hotty Totty and white. Red treble hooks are killer for crappie. Remember, crappie normally feed up so keep the bait in their face or above them. Troll with the wind seems to help. Caught my biggest, 2.5 lb and 16” last summer.

I’ve also had some success dropping a Bobby Garland jig tipped with a minnow and moving very slowly .2-.4 mph through them.

GLW fishing!

You might be able to change the screen on your FF to a flasher. If you get the sensitivity right, you can pick up your jig in the water to put it right on their noses. But even that won't help if they don't like what you're throwing at them.

Back
Top Bottom