• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any recommendations on a book on Fields Dressing game?

I’m good with field dressing deer. but I’ve never dressed a squirrel, rabbit, turkey. I know it’s all on the internet and I’m sure if was hungry enough I’d figure it out but I’d like to have a survival type of book with instructions on dressing and prepping various game animals.

I’m good with field dressing deer. but I’ve never dressed a squirrel, rabbit, turkey. I know it’s all on the internet and I’m sure if was hungry enough I’d figure it out but I’d like to have a survival type of book with instructions on dressing and prepping various game animals.

It is the same, really.

The muscle groups are all there, in the same location.

Go pop a few and take them apart, that is how you learn.

The only difference I found is I can do everything with a small pair of scissors instead of a heavy knife.

Squirrels are really easy. There is a method to skinning them that is super easy and I can’t think of what they call it and you just cut down the middle and pull the guts out after there skinned

Easiest way to skin a squirrel or a rabbit for me is to cut a slit in its back with my knife through the skin but not through the meat. Step 2 is too wiggle your fingers into the spot you just cut and then pull as hard as you can. Normally the hide will pop right off. Then just very carefully remove the guts and you’re good to go. For turkey I don’t bother with the legs since their isn’t much meat on them anyways and just de breast them. To do that I just pluck the breast area and take my knife and cut a line down the middle of it and pop it out into two pieces. If I’m skinning a raccoon I use the same method I’d use on a deer since I’ve never been able to yank the hide off one of them. The best way to learn is to watch someone that does it for a living do it.

Back
Top Bottom