• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any postage stamp collectors on ODT?

US or world wide albums? Mint never hinged or used, hinged? What is the earliest date? What is the highest denomination? 3 cents stamps not good, $5 definitive US stamps better. Airmails? Graf Zeppelin? All go into what something is worth. If it is bunch of world wide used stamps hinged into an album, probably nothing. Mint US, mint China, mint Canada, many other countries, in holders on the pages, never used, original gum, maybe something, maybe a lot.

US or world wide albums? Mint never hinged or used, hinged? What is the earliest date? What is the highest denomination? 3 cents stamps not good, $5 definitive US stamps better. Airmails? Graf Zeppelin? All go into what something is worth. If it is bunch of world wide used stamps hinged into an album, probably nothing. Mint US, mint China, mint Canada, many other countries, in holders on the pages, never used, original gum, maybe something, maybe a lot.
So many variables! I guess that’s the main reason I have never put much effort into looking into these stamps. I have an album that must be @6” thick full of stamps. I haven’t looked at them for many years - I think there are stamps from all over the world. I’ll dig it out and take another look at it.

I’ve got the stamp collection in my possession now so where do I start? There is a binder with some very old stamps glued to the pages inside and a large cardboard box full of stamps glued on thear mailed envelope as well as sheets of stamps unused. Is it best to leave the stamps on that are glued to the old envelopes?

Leave the all alone and don't try to take stamps off anything. We used to soak the old stamps that we got for a dollar a kilo to get them off paper but with cheap stamps you aren't taking much of a loss when you mess them up. If they are mostly US you can find a lot of them on Ebay to get an idea of what they are worth. You can also google them if you know what they are. Just because they are old doesn't make them valuable. You can still buy sheets of mint 3 cent stamps from the 30s and 40s for a few bucks. If they are foreign (world) try to get an idea of what countries are represented. Then go to the library and you should be able to check out the appropriate Scott's catalog for that country and then you can spot check some of them. It's a huge undertaking but could be a lot of fun, especially if you have kids that like looking at stuff like that and looking up the values. Now, if you had an inverted Jinny airplane on an US airmail stamp then it might be worth 50k or so. Graf Zeppelin's even if on flown covers are worth in the thousands or so. Most US stamps have lost a lot of their values over the last 20 or 30 years but superb stamps with original gum in higher denominations can bring big bucks at auction. Don't handle them with your bare fingers, use tweezers (preferably stamp tweezers) to handle them (the good ones have sharp points and I saw a guy pick up a US #1 mint stamp (worth about $1200 at the time, with a sharp pointed pair and he stuck a hole right through it, making it worth about $50. Be careful, they are thin paper. Have fun and enjoy looking through them

Leave the all alone and don't try to take stamps off anything. We used to soak the old stamps that we got for a dollar a kilo to get them off paper but with cheap stamps you aren't taking much of a loss when you mess them up. If they are mostly US you can find a lot of them on Ebay to get an idea of what they are worth. You can also google them if you know what they are. Just because they are old doesn't make them valuable. You can still buy sheets of mint 3 cent stamps from the 30s and 40s for a few bucks. If they are foreign (world) try to get an idea of what countries are represented. Then go to the library and you should be able to check out the appropriate Scott's catalog for that country and then you can spot check some of them. It's a huge undertaking but could be a lot of fun, especially if you have kids that like looking at stuff like that and looking up the values. Now, if you had an inverted Jinny airplane on an US airmail stamp then it might be worth 50k or so. Graf Zeppelin's even if on flown covers are worth in the thousands or so. Most US stamps have lost a lot of their values over the last 20 or 30 years but superb stamps with original gum in higher denominations can bring big bucks at auction. Don't handle them with your bare fingers, use tweezers (preferably stamp tweezers) to handle them (the good ones have sharp points and I saw a guy pick up a US #1 mint stamp (worth about $1200 at the time, with a sharp pointed pair and he stuck a hole right through it, making it worth about $50. Be careful, they are thin paper. Have fun and enjoy looking through them
thanks This gives me a place to start. A lot of them are foreign Stamps.

Back
Top Bottom