• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any pet loads for LCP 380?

Fatdaddy

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
317   0
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple of 380 guns recently and loaded some plinking stuff to hopefully get me through the ammo drought.
I figured TG would be a good/fast powder for 100gr. pill out of the 2.8'' LCP Max bbl; they shoot good but when I put them over the Chrony I was kind of surprised to see velocities less than 500fps. I ran the same handloads through the CZ83 and am getting around 875fps +/-.
I know the CZ has about an inch longer bbl with polygonal rifling but wouldn't expect that big of a velocity gain.
What velocities are normal out of short bbl 380acp in you guys experience? I was hoping to get (at least) in the 8-900's....

Hodgdon has TG listed as 2.6-3gr. for 100 gr jacketed. I started at 2.8gr for these loads...

If you have other powder types, try them. You do not have to go with a fast powder. The LCP should behave a lot like a 45ACP 1911 with regards to powder burn rate effects.

I wouldn’t go any slower than the slowest listed on this picture from HODGDON.

FAF5A264-F142-4813-85EE-BF8D51B2EE4D.png

Couldn't sell that LCP I had fast enough . I think it was a sloppy barrel, 50% of the load was passing the bullets before it got out of the barrel . I never measured it just sold it cheap. I had the same issue 450-500 fps on the LCP - same loads 850 in the TCP .. both 2.8 inch .. also had feed issues. I agree with Jarhead 3.gr TG work great on all my our 380's cycles everything .

I want to love this little LCP Max. 11 rounds of 380 in a gun that will fit in the palm of your hand.
This one shoots great; I just find the numbers to be kind of crazy..
I screwed up and left my Chrony out in the rain and it's trash now (DOH!)

Back
Top Bottom