• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any other veterans feel sometimes like you are addicted to buying gun stuff or just stuff in general.

I'm telling you I'm not happy unless I spend every free cent I have on new stuff like guns and whatnot. The Doc says some of the meds I take as well as life experiences (kinda like you're probably gonna die so get it now) cause excessive spending and addictive personality disorders. I'm really starting to believe that is true.

It's not hurting me because all the bills get paid first but if anything is left over it burns a hole in my pocket.

Just curious if other veterans are experiencing this in their lives.
I am all in too

I'm not a veteran, but I have some advice. Try buying some precious metals. Get some silver coins/bars/etc. It, at the same time, both completely fulfills that desire to spend and is saving up money at the same time.
I have a quantity of silver (coins, bars and rounds) and it is the same as guns, the craving for more never stops.

not a vet myself but I get it. I think the thing is hardwired in our brain, it's about the journey not the destination. the whole point of Homer's Illiad isn't the return trip, it's the adventure on the way. Same with many, many major stories. It's the thrill of the hunt, the chase, the looking, the wheeling and dealing, the wanting what you can't have. Once you get it, it's no longer up on the mountain of desire. It's a land that's been conquered, and oh how Alexander wept for there were no more worlds to conquer....

that said, take care of yourself first. Put at least 10% of your money in actual investments, not guns or silver. But a ROTH or 401. Have an emergency fund
fund your kid's college (if that's something important to your family)
own property or be paying on it with low interest
have no STUPID debt (CC, boats, drugs, whatever)
Then set a limit and go F-ing nuts with it.

That's how I've managed to both stay sane and own some cool=ass ****. My priorities are covered. I get my own "slush" fund that has no influence on any of the above. My wife gets the same with the same rules, even though we make different amounts of money. I can do what I want with mine and she with hers. For instance, I had $1k saved in my account and wanted a Tavor. I could either a) not get it, b) wait and save more, c) sell a gun or something else in the fund to hit the difference. Out goes a ruger pcc, in comes the Tavor :hat:

I'm not a vet, but the gun hobby for me is an addiction to experience different guns. I can't remember how many pistols I've owned over the last several years, but I learn which ones I prefer over the other. I can trade one gun for another or sell a few to buy one really nice one.

I grew up as an Army Brat,every 18 to 24 months my Dad (a 32 year vet) would walk in the house and say "got my orders we leave in 30 days" when we had to pack my Mom would tell me "you get one box of stuff chose what you want most." and then I joined to play Army for a few years. After I got out and got my house and a job I didn't have to leave every couple years I started to accumulate more stuff that I didn't have to get rid of, now I want more and more. But my wife doesn't mind to much (I learned to keep it out of her site and way and she doesn't seem to care how much I get) as said by some of y'all bills and important stuff first and then the toys but I really don't think it's a.veteran thing but I think we have.a greater appreciation of things we work for.....

Back
Top Bottom