• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any of you rednecks like to cook?

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
504   0
Reaction score
I love it. Being a single feller and raising my kids (without female assistance) for the last 8 years has really helped to push me into the culinary realm. I grew tired of fastfood and pizza and KFC and damn sure didn't like what it was doing to my weight and my kids general health. So I started cooking. I don't mean the mac n cheese in the blue box with the yellow powder or frozen corn dogs and Red barons pizza. I mean really cooking, like with raw meat, fresh ingredients and an open flame, gas burner and steel pot, cast iron skillets or even the oven. I grew up with my Grandad and my dad cooking a lot so it wasn't a completely foreign venture. I always enjoyed watching Justin Wilson and Paula Dean cook the stuff I grew up on so I used them and their recipes as a baseline. I keep an eye out for other ideas, and will freely steal them and run with it! If you have any links or youtube channels you like then list them below. This may be the one hobby I have that is worthwhile and actually useful.

I like some of the stuff that the BBQ Pit boys cook on youtube along with a guy called Cowboy Kent Rollins. The BBQ pit boys have a cast iron skillet recipe for potatoes that is really good and Kent Rollins has a pork and beans recipe (whole pork shoulder and beans) that is outstanding. The Chicken bog Paula Dean has is also easy and good eating.

Cooking is always a good thing. That’s how I gained weight. But it will also allow me to shed some.

Tonight was a good dinner, golobki (stuffed cabbage) with roast taters. Tomorrow is going to be stuffed chicken breasts with asparagus.

Make just about anything and everything. The biggest thing that I can say is to start with things you know and branch out from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooking is always a good thing. That’s how I gained weight. But it will also allow me to shed some.

Tonight was a good dinner, golobki (stuffed cabbage) with roast taters. Tomorrow is going to be stuffed chicken breasts with asparagus.

Make just about anything and everything. The biggest thing that I can say is to start with things you know and branch out from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lost me at "cabbage" ;)

Have you seen Kent Rollins' recipe for deep fried NY Strip? I've used different brands of chicken or seafood batter and it's pretty amazing. I can't remember which brand of breading I liked best, I think I used Larry the Cable Guy. Which I can't find anymore.

It may not be the healthiest but deep frying allows you to cook it perfectly medium/rare since the heat is equal 360°. The only thing is I had to eat mine as soon as I plated it bc depending on the breading used, resting it will let the breading get soggy.

Have you seen Kent Rollins' recipe for deep fried NY Strip? I've used different brands of chicken or seafood batter and it's pretty amazing. I can't remember which brand of breading I liked best, I think I used Larry the Cable Guy. Which I can't find anymore.

It may not be the healthiest but deep frying allows you to cook it perfectly medium/rare since the heat is equal 360°. The only thing is I had to eat mine as soon as I plated it bc depending on the breading used, resting it will let the breading get soggy.

Man he does a deep fried rib roast that I want to try. Haven't seen the strip - but I'm all in on that!

Man, now it's 2am and I'm HUNGRY!

Son. I've been up all night watching somebody fry a steak, brine a Turkey or smoke a pig! I have been snacking on the Lomo al Trapo leftovers I cooked Christmas day and sucking down makers mark like it oxygen. ;) I need to go to bed, but I aint gonna.

Son. I've been up all night watching somebody fry a steak, brine a Turkey or smoke a pig! I have been snacking on the Lomo al Trapo leftovers I cooked Christmas day and sucking down makers mark like it oxygen. ;) I need to go to bed, but I aint gonna.

Lomo al trapo... is that the meat that is salted and wrapped in a towel, thrown over the flames and then the towel is busted apart like a mummy? I forgot about that recipe and have been wanting to try it!

Back
Top Bottom