• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any night crawler / red wriggler farmers on the ODT?

Some of my worms I’m farming. Added coffee grounds and compost able egg crate cardboard

Attachments

• 037B716D-1038-4635-9AFE-2C862A909413.jpeg
    037B716D-1038-4635-9AFE-2C862A909413.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 8A16BAD3-5F46-4F7C-BDB4-4F55E7666F69.jpeg
    8A16BAD3-5F46-4F7C-BDB4-4F55E7666F69.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 45
Started one today...put down cardboard and then put mulch on top and wet...how did I do fellers,..any pointers to help me along is greatly appreciated

make damn sure you put some egg shell in there.
i take corn meal and egg shells grind them up in a blender and feed
that to my worm bins like once a week.
believe it or not, apple pieces cause them to go into breeding mode fast.
ok so worms have gizzards and the egg shells help greatly.
i do the blender until the shells are pretty much powder. dont fill the blender
up now. do about a cup at a time. sprinkle about a 3rd hand full.
feed no meats, nothing oily no citrus, no onions or peppers, no dairy,
rip egg crates into about one inch pieces and cover them over with the soil.
drys up the dirt which you dont want very wet but not dry either, and helps keep the soil loose for aeration which is a must. you got a farm close by go and flip the horse poo collection.
you will find more red wigglers than you can use in a life time.

Going to have to start one myself. Believe it or not I have been all over my property digging and plowing and have not seen the first worm. Been here over 5 years. Never would have believed it.

It's been 20 years, but my grandfather "farmed" worms. He had refrigerators, coolers, and other such boxes everywhere. He used cotton mote (?) for the bed and fed them chicken starter/meal, if I remember correctly? He loved his worms and would make us go to the barn to see their growth. He would take his knarreled up grandpa hands elbows deep into the "soil" and bring up 2 handfuls of worms to show them to us. He would box them up twice a week and take them to bait stores in Lagrange. Pretty good supplemental income for him. I remember the last time we talked worms. He drug me up the hill to the barn explaining how damn mites had gotten into his beds and killed his damn worms. I miss that old man!!!

It's been 20 years, but my grandfather "farmed" worms. He had refrigerators, coolers, and other such boxes everywhere. He used cotton mote (?) for the bed and fed them chicken starter/meal, if I remember correctly? He loved his worms and would make us go to the barn to see their growth. He would take his knarreled up grandpa hands elbows deep into the "soil" and bring up 2 handfuls of worms to show them to us. He would box them up twice a week and take them to bait stores in Lagrange. Pretty good supplemental income for him. I remember the last time we talked worms. He drug me up the hill to the barn explaining how damn mites had gotten into his beds and killed his damn worms. I miss that old man!!!
I love this story.

Back
Top Bottom