• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any metal fabrication shops around the Cobb area?

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some ditch lights made for my Land Cruiser. There are 2 companies that have made some but neither are selling them at the moment and they were expensive when they were for sale, I think $100. I would love to make some myself but I dont have the knowledge or the equipment to bend metal, mill slots etc.

Heres a sample of what I'm looking at:
Ditch Light brackets.jpg
Ditch Light brackets2.jpg
Ditch Light Kit.jpg

If you guys think I could DIY something like that I'm open to advice and suggestions.

How big an area around Cobb are you willing to go? Piedmont Metal in Demorest can make that no problem. Plus they have a gun store next door. Win/Win

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I made some similar brackets to mount some LED lights in the tow hook openings on my truck. Took some 1/8" thick 1.5" wide metal. Bent it using a bench vice and hammer. drilled overlapping holes and used a file and dremel to make the bolt slots. You can do it yourself if you got the time and a few tools.

you could easily make the pictured brackets with

Metal material
Hand Drill & Bits
File
C Clamp and work bench
Bench Vice
Hammer
Tape Measure

Optional:
Bench Grinder
Drill Press
Metal Brake
CNC plasma cutter :D

I made some similar brackets to mount some LED lights in the tow hook openings on my truck. Took some 1/8" thick 1.5" wide metal. Bent it using a bench vice and hammer. drilled overlapping holes and used a file and dremel to make the bolt slots. You can do it yourself if you got the time and a few tools.

you could easily make the pictured brackets with

Metal material
Hand Drill & Bits
File
C Clamp and work bench
Bench Vice
Hammer
Tape Measure

Optional:
Bench Grinder
Drill Press
Metal Brake
CNC plasma cutter :D

I might end up trying to do this myself. Reached out to Gem City and they want either a template or complete drawings with measurements before they can quote me.

I've measure the distance between the bolts on the hinges that its going to make to. I think a 4" wide piece would cover it and about 3" above the hood line. So I figure I'm going to get 4x4x1/8 piece of metal, thinking carbon steel. I'm going to get a thin rod or dowel to hammer it around for the radius and I'm going to see if I can source some slotted L-brackets. I think I might be able to order everything from McMaster Carr

I'm looking to get some ditch lights made for my Land Cruiser. There are 2 companies that have made some but neither are selling them at the moment and they were expensive when they were for sale, I think $100. I would love to make some myself but I dont have the knowledge or the equipment to bend metal, mill slots etc.

Heres a sample of what I'm looking at:
View attachment 2686186 View attachment 2686187 View attachment 2686189

If you guys think I could DIY something like that I'm open to advice and suggestions.

@ItBeMe says wood is lighter... We know what you really want. :boink:
Lazarus custom.jpg
:)
@ItBeMe Do I get "finders fees" for all this work I am sending you?

I might end up trying to do this myself. Reached out to Gem City and they want either a template or complete drawings with measurements before they can quote me.

I've measure the distance between the bolts on the hinges that its going to make to. I think a 4" wide piece would cover it and about 3" above the hood line. So I figure I'm going to get 4x4x1/8 piece of metal, thinking carbon steel. I'm going to get a thin rod or dowel to hammer it around for the radius and I'm going to see if I can source some slotted L-brackets. I think I might be able to order everything from McMaster Carr

As a mechanical designer, I would stick with Stainless for these. Carbon will rust up on you in a heartbeat if the paint gets scratched.

There is a metal superstore off HWY 5 at 75 in kennesaw. They can cut metal to your dimensions you give them.

Back
Top Bottom