• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any ideas on how to make a custom buttstock spacer? HELP NEEDED

ArmedinAtlanta

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
All:

I am working on renovating a Mossberg 500, and I really want to put a small (3/8" or so) aluminum spacer between the wood stock and the Limbsaver grind-to-fit buttpad. I considered just buying a large aluminum stock spacer and grinding it to fit with my angle grinder, but I searched around on doing this and it seems that I'd probably be better served by getting something cut to fit.

The problem with that, of course, is that the local CNC outfits want like $180 just to start the clock running. Obviously, that is a little pricey for something like this-- esp. on what started out intended to be a low-cost build (ah, the best laid plans of mice and men...)

Can anyone either 1) help me out with machining such a part; or 2) advise on how to get this done?

By way of illustration, I am looking for something along these lines, for mounting between the wood and rubber recoil pad:

651696.jpg

buttplate.jpg

All:

I am working on renovating a Mossberg 500, and I really want to put a small (3/8" or so) aluminum spacer between the wood stock and the Limbsaver grind-to-fit buttpad. I considered just buying a large aluminum stock spacer and grinding it to fit with my angle grinder, but I searched around on doing this and it seems that I'd probably be better served by getting something cut to fit.

The problem with that, of course, is that the local CNC outfits want like $180 just to start the clock running. Obviously, that is a little pricey for something like this-- esp. on what started out intended to be a low-cost build (ah, the best laid plans of mice and men...)

Can anyone either 1) help me out with machining such a part; or 2) advise on how to get this done?

By way of illustration, I am looking for something along these lines, for mounting between the wood and rubber recoil pad:

View attachment 254426

View attachment 254427

The pics are rather complicated and will require more than just a few hand tools.

I would make several wood spacers to pick which length is preferred then trace an outline of the butt stock on paper to utilize as a template. Some scraps of aluminum billet should be fairly easy to come by. De-bulk the excess metal, leave enough for wiggle room, drill your mounting holes, mount, tape off the stock and use hand tools (files) to get 98-99% there, then progressive grades of sand paper using a block to keep the corners square. Once sized, I'd bead blast it for an attractive satin finish or polish it then apply a clear lacquer to protect the polished surface (aluminum oxidizes with 02 exposure).

The parts you have pictured will cost you some coin but there is nearly nothing that money can't create or repair, mechanically speaking.

Last edited:
If you are looking to make just that piece that is shown first in your post, you can accomplish it with just a piece of aluminum or aluminium and a few tools. Trace off the shape of the butt plate, cut it outside the line, mark and drill the holes, rough the shape in with a grinder or files, finish with progressively finer grits of sandpaper on a quarter sheet sander (like Ram said) Pretty simple. If you don't think this is do-able, and you ever come to Bartow County, I'll do it, or help.

The pics are rather complicated and will require more than just a few hand tools.

I would make several wood spacers to pick which length is preferred then trace an outline of the butt stock on paper to utilize as a template. Some scraps of aluminum billet should be fairly easy to come by. De-bulk the excess metal, leave enough for wiggle room, drill your mounting holes, mount, tape off the stock and use hand tools (files) to get 98-99% there, then progressive grades of sand paper using a block to keep the corners square. Once sized, I'd bead blast it for an attractive satin finish or polish it then apply a clear lacquer to protect the polished surface (aluminum oxidizes with 02 exposure).

The parts you have pictured will cost you some coin but there is nearly nothing that money can't create or repair, mechanically speaking.

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify that I'm nowhere near adventurous enough to try anything technical like the adjustable one, nor sufficiently artistically inclined to shape something like that in the first photo. Kinda looking for the form of the spacer on the adjustable at the thickness of the plate in pic 1.

If you are looking to make just that piece that is shown first in your post, you can accomplish it with just a piece of aluminum or aluminium and a few tools. Trace off the shape of the butt plate, cut it outside the line, mark and drill the holes, rough the shape in with a grinder or files, finish with progressively finer grits of sandpaper on a quarter sheet sander (like Ram said) Pretty simple. If you don't think this is do-able, and you ever come to Bartow County, I'll do it, or help.

Thanks for the offer. I am beginning to believe my dream of getting it done on a cnc, etc may be unrealistic. If I can't get it figured out and I'm up that way, I'll drop you a line and show up w/ some 3/8" bar stock.

Back
Top Bottom