• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any great barbecue in Blue Ridge ?

Jim’s in Blairsville is really good, but if you want to stay in Blue Ridge/Morganton go to Carroll’s BBQ in Blue Ridge.

Since you specifically asked about Blue Ridge, Carroll’s BBQ and Mike’s Trackside are my two go to places. Carroll’s is away from downtown and is a good option if Main Street is packed with train people (as it seems to stay that way now). North on 515, make a right on Orvin Lance Dr. (intersection with CVS), follow that around just past the Ozark bank there is a shopping center where the back faces the road, Carroll’s is in there. Get it to go and head to the Grumpy Brewery (opposite end of town because that’s how we do things in the mountains) and have a beer with your meal.

Mike’s Trackside is closer to downtown but still a good option to get out of the crowd. It’s on East 1st (old 76) going Northeast out of town (nowhere close to the tracks) past my the triangle where East 1st and East Main come together. There is another BBQ place close to it called Blue Ridge Mountain BBQ, do not confuse the two. Mike’s is better. Seating is more limited at Mike’s but they have a fair amount of deck seating.

I judge BBQ on beef, so I favor Carroll’s. Both have good swine if that’s your choice. Sides - the cobbler at Mikes is a must try and the beans are my choice at Carroll’s. Slaw - I think Mike’s has a creamy dressing (can’t remember though, and Carroll’s does a fine chopped slaw with a lighter dressing. The Carroll’s slaw almost reminds me of KFC slaw but it’s good.

Now for smoked wings - head to the marina on the lake and add a side of potato salad. Plan to wait on a weekend though.

That little mountain town does not lack in quantity of places to eat. Too bad restaurants have trouble finding help.

Back
Top Bottom