• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any CMP or Highpower shooters here? I would like some advice.

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
My goal this year is to cut my group sizes by approximately 50%. My immediate goal is to improve my standing groups to around 6moa.

My other goal is to get in better shape. One thing I plan on doing is incorporating some shooting specific exercises into a workout. My thought is to practice standing with my M1a for extended periods, maybe 5 minutes at a time. Is there anything you do to work on your steadiness?

Any other tips, links to videos or sites that have helped spur some improvement would also be appreciated.

First of all, I can't hold a 6" group at 100 yards standing, without using a sling. Not for a 5-shot group most of the time, and certainly not for 10 or 20 shot groups.

However, I can suggest a few things that did help me shrink my offhand / standing groups and minimize flyers or dropped shots.

1-- hit the gym and do general upper body and torso (core) muscle workouts. Strengthen your back, sides, chest, and shoulders. Not just the arms. And it wouldn't hurt to do some squats and leg presses and calf raises to make your legs better able to effortlessly support your body for long periods at the firing line without getting any twitches or tremors.

2-- If shooting coats are allowed, use one. If the rules say that it must not be buckled or buttoned, fine, but wear one anyway. It helps, both to control your body's muscle movement and to insulate your rifle from your pulse.

3-- Wear the right kind of shoes. Hard-soled shoes or boots. Not soft-bottomed sneakers with rounded-up heels and toes. You want shoes that have a hard flat surface to firmly stabilize you on the firing line.

4-- yeah, practice aiming your rifle for 5 minutes at a time. I used to hang a 1-gallon water jug from my M1 Garand just forward of my grip. The swaying of 7 lbs. of water meant I could not really do "dry fire" practice with the extra weight, but I was doing it to build endurance. Real dry fire practice would involve an unweighted rifle, a very small target the size of a shirt button across the living room at eye height, and I'd try to break the shot within 20 seconds of starting to aim.

Used to shoot cmp in florida many years ago.
get a good sling les tam made mine. Good handload and shoot every time you get a chance.

Go to an Appleseed event. The instructors will help you with your position and sling use, because practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect. Don't get me wrong; there are other fine instructors on this out there, but Appleseed is by far the best bang for the buck.

Dry fire practice. Focus on a small target at some distance, and work on it. Over, and over, and over, again.

Embrace your wobble. Learn to break the shot as you 'wobble' through the center of the target. 6 MOA is reachable, but it will take perfect practice.

Back
Top Bottom