• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Carolina Skiff experts here?

Thanks for the replies. It is fairly decked out; Bimini, graph, trolling motor, tandem trailer, etc. We were planning to take it to a marine mechanic to get it up to par, but someone we know wants to make an offer before we get it fixed.

Hard to make a fair offer without knowing the condition of the boat and engine , engine repair no matter what it is starts at close to a grand and goes up from there, he’ll everthing on a boat starts at 500 for most anything

Asking 16k for a boat dosent mean it will sell for that much, sorta like the 1k glocks on here. If the 115 is a 2 stroke it hurts the value of the boat, and not knowing what the cost of repairs dosent help either. It being a fresh water boat and was well cared for helps its resale value, used boats are selling for around 10 to 15 % over NADAA average cond .in todays market.

you have a 18 year old boat and motor, not running right, looking at maybe 10 grand, most people want turn key boat that they do not have to work on as boat dealers get $125 or more a hour.

A trustworthy boat engine mechanic friend told me the main thing wrong with most boat motors is lack of use. In Florida I noticed Yamaha outboards showed the worst corrosion. An older boat, NADA being mostly worthless since anythinhs value being what you can get for it....$5200 would be an outstanding offer..yes boats sold like crazy but you have to realize a new boat gets financed. A guy with $5000 cash in his pocket didn't spend it on anything else & he would really have to want a boat to put it on a used one. Remember the two happiest days in a boat owners life. Day he buys, day he sells.

Asking 16k for a boat dosent mean it will sell for that much, sorta like the 1k glocks on here. If the 115 is a 2 stroke it hurts the value of the boat, and not knowing what the cost of repairs dosent help either. It being a fresh water boat and was well cared for helps its resale value, used boats are selling for around 10 to 15 % over NADAA average cond .in todays market.

Funny you should say that about 2 stroke.

Not disputing that in general, but I know plenty of people who search out good running 2 strokes, particularly in the higher HP range, because of the weight difference and ease of maintenance. I'm not one of them, but then I don't feel the need to run 60 MPH.

The older CS had water getting into the foam. Google and you'll see what i'm referring to.
The older ones also have a tendency to ride like HELL in a chop. Rough water, forget it. Ask me how I know...!!!!
I had a 2006, w/the 115hp yamaha. When it ran good, it was great. But the carbs are extremely finicky. I was always cleaning and adjusting. Drove me NUTS....!!!!! Fuel filters, non ethanol, water separator, etc., and still would have the lean sneeze every so often and stall for NO reason at all. Fire it back up and it ran 100%.

I think you are inheriting an issue w/an 18 year old boat that hasn't run in 2 years. I'd pass if I was you. Keep your eyes open and you'll eventually find a deal.

BTW:

I just bought a 2021 CS 23LS w/suzuki 200. NIGHT AND DAY difference compared to the 2006 model. Ride is 10x smoother, doesn't sound like it is coming part on rough water, etc. Like comparing a cadillac to a kia.
I would have bought the Key West, but they were nearly DOUBLE the price.

analyzing the market is why there is a stock market.

personally, I've stopped being interested in "was running when parked" items. As mentioned, the motor is the big ticket item, the boat is a throw in, unless you are talking about a Bertram or such.

If you really like the boat and can get it for a song, i'd change out the motor to a NEW yamaha 115 for about $10,000 or so.

Forgot to add: a new 2021 CS 23 LS with 175 or 200 hp, T top, electronics, aluminum trailer will be about 50k.

Back
Top Bottom