• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Bicyclists in the house? Road? Mountain? Hybrid?

Prepare your selves spandex er's. If you violate the rules of this thread you will face the wrath of my train horn

I raced mtn bikes back in the 90's, had a kid, decided to take a couple years off from racing. 21 years later, I want to get back into it. Is $1000 enough to get a good recreational bike? If so, what is a good brand and model? Everything has changed in 21 years. I rode a Tomato Red Schwinn Homegrown back in the day and still have it.

Should I fix this up or get a new one?

Thanks for any advice.

Trek FX3 is good road hybrid bike in the approx 800 range. Hybrids are the best selling style right now.

If you want a road bike the Trek Domane AL3 is in your price range.

<---- my son answered the question - I think he's partial to Trek; I don't have a clue about cycling...

I have a beautiful black and red 1979 Motobecane Grand Tour that I need to get going again. Has not been used in decades so tires are dry-rotted. Can you put wider tires on a road bike? I need to upgrade that suede saddle to something more comfortable to my "now big butt". Maybe I just need to sell it and get a bike for a 64 year old guy.

I tried riding my daughter's mountain bike and I hurt when I got off of it. I then started researching comfortable mountain bikes and settled on this Fuji-built SE F@E which has 4 inch wide tires that make for a comfortable ride while still being fast and capable (see video below). The local Fuji dealer wanted $1600 for one but I bought this on clearance from a California-based dealer who sold it for $700 plus $35 shipping. That dealer is now selling e-bikes. I had the local Fuji dealer put it together and he asked what I paid for it which was less than wholesale. I installed the Axiom Rearfat runners and Frontfat runners (snap-on hubs), a bottle carrier, and a very comfortable seat. And also bought a Thule Fat Bike carrier and a PRO hitch for the car. I've ridden it on the roadways at St. Simons and on a dirt trail near my home. It's fast and very comfortable. My daughter likes riding it too and she rides the Scott street racers with the skinny tires.

Fuji- SE F@E Mountain Bike.jpg

Here's an honest review of fat bikes in general,

I have a beautiful black and red 1979 Motobecane Grand Tour that I need to get going again. Has not been used in decades so tires are dry-rotted. Can you put wider tires on a road bike? I need to upgrade that suede saddle to something more comfortable to my "now big butt". Maybe I just need to sell it and get a bike for a 64 year old guy.
If you ever consider selling it and trading for something more comfy, please PM me. I had a Motobecane once that I really enjoyed -- miss it.

I raced mtn bikes back in the 90's, had a kid, decided to take a couple years off from racing. 21 years later, I want to get back into it. Is $1000 enough to get a good recreational bike? If so, what is a good brand and model? Everything has changed in 21 years. I rode a Tomato Red Schwinn Homegrown back in the day and still have it.

Should I fix this up or get a new one?

Thanks for any advice.
Do you want recreational, or do you want to hit the singletrack trails? Do you want a 29er or a fat tire? You can get into something descent for around your price range. You can't go wrong with Trek or Niner. If you are at all interested, I have a trek fuel ex 8 26er and a niner (29er) that's in your price range. both are full suspension and medium in size. happy hunting and I hope that you do get back into riding again. sure is an awesome way to meet friends and relieve stress.

Been riding since 1989, had a bad time last year or so and just getting back on. Basically a roadie but big for one. Anyway I’ve been riding a Giant TCR for the last 10 years give or take. Just found this thread, anyone in the Carroll County area? LBS ride is a little too much right now.

Back
Top Bottom