• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any ATV guys?

CliffB CliffB get in here - he is the king of power sports advice ....

Now after owning the 2019 rubicon foreman loaded out, i tend to agree with Bennyboy Bennyboy , Yamaha kodiak 700 or can am outlander 1000 will be my next bike
Had a chance to ride a modded Outlander 800 a couple years ago. It was an absolute beast.

That being said, the owner said it had its share of issues. Lots of small quality issues (like the seat kept coming off when I was riding it over rough terrain: a stupid problem, but a problem) and couple of larger issues. I think it had been through a couple of belts and the “check engine” light stayed on.

I loved the EXCESS power but I’ll take PLENTY of power plus reliability of the Kodiak/Grizzly.

Had a chance to ride a modded Outlander 800 a couple years ago. It was an absolute beast.

That being said, the owner said it had its share of issues. Lots of small quality issues (like the seat kept coming off when I was riding it over rough terrain: a stupid problem, but a problem) and couple of larger issues. I think it had been through a couple of belts and the “check engine” light stayed on.

I loved the EXCESS power but I’ll take PLENTY of power plus reliability of the Kodiak/Grizzly.
I was leaning towards the Yamaha because I have heard the same thing.

Unless things have changed, Can AM and POLARIS, are the ones that are truly4-wheel drive units, rotax engines are hard to beat, those two units are really great when needing a two seat rider it just remains are you wanting all the fixins or just wanting watered down performance, yes we have several of the ones mentioned however buy the best and you will certainly gripe a whole lot less, go with the 1000cc it is a hauler...

My first atv was a new 94 Honda 300EX. Got it to ride with My boys on their Honda 50s. Zero issues. Still runs. Still have one of the 50s to that still runs like a top. Bought a new Rancher in 18. 4wd. Only use it to run the dogs go fishing. No real mudding. Don’t think you can beat a Honda for reliability. I have no need to go fast and the rancher suits me fine. I would stay away from used.

Things I have learned from riding over the years mostly with my son. You can never have enough power but you can definitely be underpowered (as your experience level grows you will appreciate the extra power). Once you have electronic/power assist steering you will wonder how you ever did without it and vow to never go back. Independent suspension is the way to go and lastly always get four wheel drive. Just my two cents.

Go Honda or Yamaha. With basic maintenance (which means hardly any), they’ll last decades.

The Yamaha Kodiak 700 is a killer deal. Priced roughly inline with other manufacturers 400-500cc class machines.

I bought a Yamaha Kodiak 700 with fuel injection as a leftover last year, and the price on it was better than some used ATV's. The dealership I bought from is in Columbus, and I'd recommend them to anyone. I agree with Bennyboy, the Yamaha is the nicest riding ATV I've owned, and it has lifetime battery warranty, and Yamaha sent me an offer that if I use Yamaha oil and filters, the engine has a lifetime warranty also. I did the first service with the dealer, and am now doing the maintenance myself as all I have to keep are the receipts for the oil and filters used.

CliffB CliffB get in here - he is the king of power sports advice ....

Now after owning the 2019 rubicon foreman loaded out, i tend to agree with Bennyboy Bennyboy , Yamaha kodiak 700 or can am outlander 1000 will be my next bike

I'm with you, buy Honda or Yamaha if you want the most reliable all around unit that will last forever. Honda is meant to be reliable, power has never been there claim to fame. It goes across all of their units. They may not be the fastest out of the hole, fastest on top end, or overall highest performing but when the Polaris or Can Am breaks the Honda will still be out on the trails.

As far as CanAm and Polaris, if you want to be the biggest, baddest guy on the track or in the mud hole then absolutely. Factory snorkels, factory everything you could want to be fast and nasty in the mud. Problem is that stuff all seems to wear out fast.

I don't really consider Suzuki or Kawasaki unless this is purely utilitarian. They just don't appeal to me on a power or reliability stand point.

Lastly, never buy a used ATV unless you know the previous owner personally. Especially in 2020 when people are going deeper and deeper into mud and water than ever before.

Back
Top Bottom