Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
F4EC6843-8FFE-470C-9B80-0FB6ADDAACBC.jpeg
47F08BB3-2205-4E57-8708-B39819F5DD59.jpeg
131ADACD-1092-45F9-84BD-9E38D61F03D0.jpeg
C57F4B82-A859-4208-BD58-3BCB190F6645.jpeg
So...she had 290,000 miles on it and it developed a knocking noise around 270,000 miles and got progressively worse.
Checked the flex plate bolts and they were tight, pulled the trans and checked the flex plate for cracks-it was fine.
Pulled the oil pan and found #5 cylinder had a broken piston skirt...so there was my noise, had chunks of the skirt in bottom of oil pan.
Took motor to machine shop and had it gone over with .030 over pistons, all new parts including camshaft and lifters, polishing of the crankshaft and new valve guides, seals.
Pretty much a stock rebuild.
Performance mods will be a banks revolver header pipe and 4 hole upgraded injectors, brown dog motor mounts.
Eventually a new cat back exhaust but gotta recoup some funds first.
Put a new vibration dampener on and got the trans mated to engine....just waiting another 10 days before my motor mounts arrive so I get this sucker back under the hood.

Gonna send my driveshafts to the driveshaft shop for new U joints and balancing.

Eventually I’ll do a slip yoke eliminator kit and a Tom Woods double cardan rear driveshaft.

Put a new dampener on, $50.00 cheap insurance.
I ended up renting the dampener installation tool from autozone which made the puller install a breeze.
My mercedes fan clutch holding tool was the perfect aid in holding the pulley while I torqued the bolt down.
You can easily make a holding tool with a length of flat steel or aluminum with some precisely spaced bolt holes which can accept bolts form any pulley removal tool set.....a must have and available cheap at any auto parts joint.

I also replaced my input shaft radial seal on my trans since my old seal looked pretty worn and was leaking.
I spent hours yesterday finding another seal since the one I got from autozone went on way too easy by just pushing it in with my fingers.
I found another seal at a small auto parts store and we used a micromenter to measure the new seal against the original and it was a little larger in diameter and this new seal went in like it should with the aid of a seal installer....in which case, an old rifle scope sun shade I had lying around was the perfect fit to pound the seal in.
Little stuff like this will set you back a half day sometimes.

what's the jeep look like? i have a 97 cherokee sport 4-door,2wd was wife's uncle until he passed. 306K with a new motor put in before he left us. it still a daily driver

I want to put in one of the stroker 4.0 in mine.

Hit me up if you’re looking for a good engine/machine shop to build you one reasonably.
Every place I contacted wanted $4500 for a basic rebuild but I used a place in Canton that did everything for $2100.
He loves building these jeep motors too cause they’re so easy (for them).
If it wasn’t for all the head work I would have paid about $1800.00.
This place built several race motors for buddy’s of mine and they do it all.
Friendly , reasonable and timely.
He told me it would be about 2 months but he ended up done in about three weeks.
I’ve got another locked up 4.0 out of a 95 model I’m just gonna give to them to build a stroker out of and sell if it’s worth saving.

7EEF8E4C-011E-4D5B-8857-BF580363F228.jpeg
7AB67C96-AE9A-4037-85F5-0444C1FCF2E6.jpeg
Getting it all together.
Waiting on my 4 hole injectors.
....and my buddy to help me rock it in.

I could have spent a ton of time painting all the other parts but it’s more function than fluff.
Took forever to get my brown dog motor mounts.
They’re supposed to be the greatest ever company to deal with but I gotta say they weren’t as friendly or timely as all the online reviews suggest.
They didn’t seem to have their act together , very short attitudes, not very friendly on the phone and blamed all their lack of timeliness on the corona virus .
Funny how I’ve ordered several other parts from the west coast that got to my house in two or three days....unlike their 14.

Back
Top Bottom