• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another herpetology what is it question.

As seen in North GA on a river Bank. Best pic I could get.

What say you?
I think you should get up real close for it's pic. You'll have a good idea then. Look for two holes on your arm or hand, burning pain and a repeat performance if you're still up close.

When I was a kid I was into catching snakes. Grew up in Clayton and Henry counties. Never seen a water moccasin. Seen plenty of folks killing water snakes and swearing up and down they killed a water moccasin. I’ve heard every excuse, even, Well you know water moccasins can change their appearance to look like other snakes.

I grew up in central Texas, it gets colder there than it does here in the winter. We had both water snakes, and cotton mouths, it is pretty easy to spot the difference. The wedge head, white mouth and fangs, and bad attitude are hard to miss. A cotton mouth will chase you, and will bite you if it can. I have had them come up out of the water, chasing a fish I was pulling in. I have had them chase me in the water. I have had them try to ambush bite. Rattlesnakes usually just want to be left alone, a cotton mouth is aggressive.

I grew up in central Texas, it gets colder there than it does here in the winter. We had both water snakes, and cotton mouths, it is pretty easy to spot the difference. The wedge head, white mouth and fangs, and bad attitude are hard to miss. A cotton mouth will chase you, and will bite you if it can. I have had them come up out of the water, chasing a fish I was pulling in. I have had them chase me in the water. I have had them try to ambush bite. Rattlesnakes usually just want to be left alone, a cotton mouth is aggressive.
I'll step around a cotton mouth and not think much about it, but a copperhead is a mean dude! I've had them try to get me in my excavator and dozer!

Back
Top Bottom