• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another couple of Remington 870 HD projects

Modifyied 6 older model Wingmaster bolts to the newer Flexitab version.

First to the surface grinder, to remove the hard chrome prior to milling.
6341825F-EDFD-47AD-8969-C77F25CEB3AF.jpeg

In the mill, cutting the relief in the bottom
5D1E9F17-2995-405E-BD03-F54B430A49F5.jpeg
54AE34C9-7289-4E8F-AD1C-CF727419660F.jpeg

At the bottom is a newer model bolt for the Flexitab system.
Middle bolt is one that we modified for the Flexitab system.
At the top is an older model bolt, before we modified it.
B3C499E4-72FE-439B-B1C6-65C42A42FB75.jpeg

Dang it, man! You didn't even disassemble the bolts first? That's like something I would do!

Well, except that I would have used a hand grinder and made it super ugly. And probably would have needed stitches after I gouged my hand with the grinder.

In all seriousness, it looks nice. Good job "resurrecting" those old bolts.

All your postings about HD shotguns got me tinkering with my old 870 Express Magnum. Mine's a mid 90's version, and came factory equipped with aluminum trigger guard and a Non MIM extractor. I even have a non-dimpled mag tube - I sent it back to Remington in the 90s to get it switched out.

Dang it, man! You didn't even disassemble the bolts first? That's like something I would do!

Well, except that I would have used a hand grinder and made it super ugly. And probably would have needed stitches after I gouged my hand with the grinder.

In all seriousness, it looks nice. Good job "resurrecting" those old bolts.

All your postings about HD shotguns got me tinkering with my old 870 Express Magnum. Mine's a mid 90's version, and came factory equipped with aluminum trigger guard and a Non MIM extractor. I even have a non-dimpled mag tube - I sent it back to Remington in the 90s to get it switched out.

They all need disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled, so I didn’t mind machining them while assembled.

Since you're building these HD 870s, please allow me to ask for some advice: Which stock do you prefer, the Magpul or the Hogue reduced length of pull? Is the Magpul worth the extra $40-$50?

Thank you, Sir.

Since you're building these HD 870s, please allow me to ask for some advice: Which stock do you prefer, the Magpul or the Hogue reduced length of pull? Is the Magpul worth the extra $40-$50?

Thank you, Sir.

I prefer the Hogue with the reduced LOP.

For me, I prefer a LOP about an inch longer than the Hogue, but shorter than standard. I don’t have any issues running the Hogue, though. Too short is better than too long.

Finished up the rougher of the two 870’s. Not all the pits came out, so she’s got some character.

-Modified bolt for Flexitab
-New carrier slide for Flexitab
-Entire trigger assembly was rusted and extremely fouled. I completely disassembled it, and cleaned it up. Threw the springs and some of the parts away. I’ll have the aluminum assembly Cerakoted, then I’ll reassemble it for a future build. For this particular 870, I dropped in a complete Police model trigger assembly that I had on hand.
-Installed Modified RemChoke
-Installed GG&G rear sling mount
-Installed Remington magazine extension
-The original rear sight and rear sight slide were rusted and the tiny screws wouldn’t come out. I replaced the entire assembly with new parts.

8C1033E3-23AA-4435-BC5E-7B7562C83442.jpeg

I am a big fan of the 870 wingmaster. Hell I just love old Denny's. I have be looking for a pristine 870 , 12 guage, 28-30 inch vent rib barrel with a full choke. I love the shiney blue steel and high luster furniture. Beautiful guns. It's a shame what they did to those guns.

Back
Top Bottom