• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another couple of Remington 870 HD projects

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Picked up a couple of Wingmasters recently, with the intent of turning them in to self-defense shotguns.

Both have 20”, rifle-sighted, smooth bore barrels with RemChokes. Both had Full chokes, so those will have to go. Ordered an Improved Cylinder and Modified choke for each one.

I used an undersized bore brush, wrapped in 0000 steel wool, and soaked in oil, attached to a long brass rod on both bores. Chucked it up in a cordless drill and made short work of the job.

The top one (Shotgun A) is most definitely the rougher of the pair. It was coated with flat black spray paint. I chemically stripped the paint, to find pitting, gouges, and lots of rust.

I used a fine file and emery cloth on the worst of the gouges. I didn’t try to completely remove all of them, on many of them all that I did was remove the raised metal caused by the gouge and left the indent.

Using a piece of wet-dry sandpaper taped to a flat granite block, I smoothed out both sides of the receiver on Shotgun A. Again, I didn’t try to remove all of the pitting, only the worst of it. This shotgun is definitely going to show some character when it’s done!

Once I beadblast Shotgun A, I’ll have a better idea what I’m dealing with. Right now, the low parts of the pitting are dark, while the surrounding metal is silver, making the pits look worse than they are.

5391E68F-E3B0-4F36-9EDA-F8084FCEA7F1.jpeg

In a previous post, I had talked about upgrading an older 870 to the newer Flexitab system. One of the mods that I neglected to mention is the one to the bolt itself.

On the left is a more modern bolt, showing the metal removed from the front bottom of the bolt to work in conjunction with the Flexitab system. The area where the metal is removed is in the red box.

The bolt on the right is an older model that will not work with the Flexitab system.
EAF477EE-A373-4CF2-BF84-F460B8ADE6E3.jpeg

You can buy a new bolt and swap ‘em out, or you can do what I’m about to and mill metal of the older bolts to convert them to the newer system. I have 6 old bolts on hand, and access to a CNC milling machine. The older style bolts I have are three that I removed from previous builds, and three that I recently picked up recently at a really good deal.

Shotgun A:
-Remove as much of the gouges as reasonably possible
-Replace front sight blade with a Trijicon tritium model
-IC and M choke tubes
-Upgrade to Flexitab system
-Magazine tube extension
-Side sling mounts
-Heavy duty carrier dog spring from a Remington 1100, as used in 870 Police models
-Esstac Velcro side saddle
-Cerakote

Shotgun B:
-Clean it up
-Upgrade to Flexitab system
-IC and M chokes
-Magazine tube extension
-Speedfeed stock and forend
-Side sling mounts
-Heavy duty carrier dog spring from a Remington 1100, as used in the 870 Police model
-Esstact Velcro side saddle

Maybe one can be a SBS?

I already own an SBS Remington 870; a 14” Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech model.

Both of these shotguns are being built for other folks.

I am fixing to Form 1 two shotguns that I will write separate posts on. One is an early 1950’s Ithaca 37 that will be cut to 14”, and the other is a 12ga double barrel that I will turn into a “Mad Max” 10.5” pistol.

What mag extensions are you using? I bought an 870 Police trade in a few months back. It is a 20" with a regular mag tube. I debated on every mag extension and ended up deciding to stick with the parkerized OEM +3. At the time there were none on the market so I ended up finding one at a Farm and Fleet in Indiana.

I was never a big 870 fan but I like this splattergun. My son and I shot skeet with it and it wasnt awful even with rifle sights. It.came with a speedfeed which I have always liked but I'm wanting to put the factory folder on it. I know they're like an AK underfolder for comfort but I like the compactness for carrying around.

Back
Top Bottom