• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another concealed carry question...from car into gun range

What if you don't have a concealed carry permit and you carry your gun from your car into a gun range in a gun case and you are on property that you don't own? Would this be considered illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

This is an open question, meaning that it has never been decided by a court nor is it explicit in the statute.

Being unloaded does not affect it being a weapon, or being a concealed weapon if it is carried on your person.

Historically, a "concealed weapon" was considered in terms of accessibility, and it's threat to the public. For a while the law considered a gun carried in an automobile that was not on the front seat a concealed weapon unless it was unloaded and in a holster.

I think the same concept applies to an unloaded gun in a case. The same situation would apply to taking a broken gun to a gunsmith, on in reverse, buying a new gun and taking it out of the store.

I have no problem saying that carrying an unloaded firearm in a case does not violate the law.

But consider, there are any number of cases, where someone's house gets raided for drugs, and there are guns in a locked gun case. There is a law of nature that District Attorneys have to pile on the charges, and invariably, a charge of possessing a firearm during the commission of a crime is tacked on.

So what?
McDonald's and Home Depot are private property too.
Can you carry a loaded handgun THERE, even walking across their parking lots, without a permit?

My house is private property.
If you don't have a GWL and I invite you over to a pool party and BBQ, can you legally carry your holstered pistol?

Does my "permission" for you to carry, w/o any permit, on my private property, make it legal?

No.

What if you don't have a concealed carry permit and you carry your gun from your car into a gun range in a gun case and you are on property that you don't own? Would this be considered illegally carrying a concealed weapon.
I'm assuming from the way you asked the question that you weren't just being casual when you referred to it as a concealed carry permit." GA does not have a law against carrying concealed weapons and the license (a weapons carry license) applies to carry weapons generally, almost always without regard to whether the weapon is carried openly or concealed.

I'm assuming from the way you asked the question that you weren't just being casual when you referred to it as a concealed carry permit."

nope, nothing casual about it.

90% of the posters here call it a concealed weapons license/permit, CCL, CWP.

If you call it a GWL, you are considered a pedant.

Check out the Handguns for sale, for all the sailors who won't cell without a CWP.

nope, nothing casual about it.

90% of the posters here call it a concealed weapons license/permit, CCL, CWP.

If you call it a GWL, you are considered a pedant.

Check out the Handguns for sale, for all the sailors who won't cell without a CWP.
Consider me a pedant, but I think you missed the point. Being casual is knowing that the formal name is one thing but calling it something else. I do not care if people do that. But he went on to ask about carrying concealed, implying that he thought Georgia prohibits concealed carry. That's not being casual, that's at least giving the impression he is not aware. So you say he is not being casual, but then describe people being casual.

Consider me a pedant, but I think you missed the point. Being casual is knowing that the formal name is one thing but calling it something else. I do not care if people do that. But he went on to ask about carrying concealed, implying that he thought Georgia prohibits concealed carry. That's not being casual, that's at least giving the impression he is not aware. So you say he is not being casual, but then describe people being casual.

You should jump in on some of the BOS discussions.

Them that insist on a BOS are convinced that a GWL issued 4 1/2 years ago is a Cloak of Righteousness that guarantees the buyer is legally able to purchase a firearm.

Kind of like plastic Jesus in the Tom Lehrer song.

Back
Top Bottom