• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Brunswick Stew thread

Well @Pfoneman I had a bunch of Boston Butt leftovers so I got my stuff together, baked some chicken thighs to put in here too. Now THIS is eatin!

I don't know what's traditional or not, I just know what I like. I was definitely winging it for a while but the ingredient list is something like this:

Sautéed garlic and onion...
Large can of diced tomatoes.
Large can of tomato sauce
2 cups each beef and chicken broth
A bunch of shredded Boston Butt
8 chicken thighs, baked with salt and Old Bay and then shredded
2 bags frozen lima beans
Bag of frozen corn
2 cans of creamed corn
Bottle of Mrs Griffiths
Bottle of tangy BBQ sauce
Good bunch of splashes of Tobasco Sauce

The pic is before I added the shredded chicken. It's a nice hearty, thick stew which is what I prefer. Got about 1.5 gallons of it.

View attachment 3308596

I used to make a similar version with the Mrs. Griffiths BBQ sauce (I've heard that palmettomoon palmettomoon has the inside track on that brand of BBQ sauce) and we would freeze a quite a few quarts for those cold winter days to eat with saltines or toast.

I used to make a similar version with the Mrs. Griffiths BBQ sauce (I've heard that palmettomoon palmettomoon has the inside track on that brand of BBQ sauce) and we would freeze a quite a few quarts for those cold winter days to eat with saltines or toast.

I had about 2 gallons. I gave half away...I should have froze it!

stew is good with white rice

This isn't that kind of stew. Traditional Brunswick stew is made with a hog's head, but I prefer a combination of shredded chicken and Boston Butt or smoked beef brisket. It's served as an appetizer in quite a few restaurants in SW Georgia and served with saltines and even fried pickles.

This isn't that kind of stew. Traditional Brunswick stew is made with a hog's head, but I prefer a combination of shredded chicken and Boston Butt or smoked beef brisket. It's served as an appetizer in quite a few restaurants in SW Georgia and served with saltines and even fried pickles.
It's a lot less trouble than whole hog's head too.

Cook a turkey
Smoke a butt
Chop or grind it up
Corn, maters ,onions
Salt ,pepper, hot sauce ,ketchup, dab of mustard.
Worstisauce, vinegar
Use broth off turkey

Cook all day

Test an add lil bits of what you think needs a dab

Last ingredient in mine is some shugger to bring all flavors together ;)

We aint giving that recipe away all together but instead of souse I like to use ground chorizo and as said a mustard blend of sauce with John boy and Billy's grilling sauce so nothing sweet. At least pork chicken and beef but like to add venison too.

Back
Top Bottom