• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Brunswick Stew thread

The couple that made the Brunswick Stew for our family reunions in the 1950s made it over an open fire with a cauldron hanging from a tripod. Cooked for 3 days, stirred with a wooden boat oar. I asked them what kind of meat was in it (long time ago). Man said some deer, some squirrel, some racoon, some possum (we catch them and feed them corn for about 2 weeks to clean them out before we butcher them). Said there was some chicken and some turkey and anything else they might come up on during the trip to the reunion site.

Sure was some fine, melt in the mouth stew. If the couple is still alive I guess they would be in their 120s now.

The couple that made the Brunswick Stew for our family reunions in the 1950s made it over an open fire with a cauldron hanging from a tripod. Cooked for 3 days, stirred with a wooden boat oar. I asked them what kind of meat was in it (long time ago). Man said some deer, some squirrel, some racoon, some possum (we catch them and feed them corn for about 2 weeks to clean them out before we butcher them). Said there was some chicken and some turkey and anything else they might come up on during the trip to the reunion site.

Sure was some fine, melt in the mouth stew. If the couple is still alive I guess they would be in their 120s now.

Thanks for sharing, that's a pretty neat story! I didn't even exist until 1974!

Thanks for sharing, that's a pretty neat story! I didn't even exist until 1974!
Thanks, I was young then, 8 or 9 at the time, got to see cousins and play with them that I only saw once a year. We had so much good food that everyone took a nap after lunch. My grandmother made a chocolate cake, 6 layers with hard chocolate icing on the outside and soft chocolate between the layers, that I can still smell in her old china hutch that houses her place settings. Pies, cakes, BBQ sandwiches, turkey and dressing and whatever else anyone wanted to bring.

Alas, I'm the only living person that attended those get togethers and now all I have are my memories.

Back
Top Bottom