• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
I carried my Shield 9 in a Desantis Apache for a couple of years as my BUG on duty. Been in numerous foot chases, fights, etc with it and it never moved. Hell my first foot chase wearing it I had to jump two fences and it never budged. Wore it over the top of my 5.11 ATAC boots. Hardly ever felt it was there. I picked it up for around $45 at Bass Pro, but I'm sure it's cheaper on Amazon now.

Side note: did you say your issued primary weapon is a G43?

I thought the same thing, he said official duty gun. I assume approved backup.

I have the Galco with fur lining, holds great and super comfortable.

135e47c946946415dcc27c3c0b850d14.jpg

I thought the same thing, he said official duty gun. I assume approved backup.

I have the Galco with fur lining, holds great and super comfortable.

135e47c946946415dcc27c3c0b850d14.jpg

Yeah threw me off. I'd hope it's a issued BUG, not s primary.

Is anyone else here carrying the G43 as a BUG? It just seems to me that the spare mags on your belt need to fit both primary and secondary weapons . . .

My dept issues the G21. I'm not ankle carrying a G30.

I carried my Shield 9 in a Desantis Apache for a couple of years as my BUG on duty. Been in numerous foot chases, fights, etc with it and it never moved. Hell my first foot chase wearing it I had to jump two fences and it never budged. Wore it over the top of my 5.11 ATAC boots. Hardly ever felt it was there. I picked it up for around $45 at Bass Pro, but I'm sure it's cheaper on Amazon now.

Yes, the dept issued BUG is the 43

Is anyone else here carrying the G43 as a BUG? It just seems to me that the spare mags on your belt need to fit both primary and secondary weapons . . .

That used to be the prevalent school of thought until research demonstrated that when fights devolve into backup guns, the fight is over pretty quickly after the backup comes in to play.

That being said, anecdotal evidence suggests that backups will be used in a scuffle, and a revolver would make more sense for contact shooting on the ground.

The missions aren't the same for a primary and secondary weapon. Generally, a backup is a "get off me" because the primary is inaccessible, not necessarily unusable. Anyway, we can discuss it all day and each have a hundred valid points, but I'll leave this one with you: The Troopers switched to 43 (after 42s) because officers were simply not wearing the larger, bulkier guns (at that time, maybe the 27? I can't recall). So they went to the smaller, lighter guns so that their guys would actually carry it instead of leave it at home. The shift in doctrine has apparently worked, since I've not heard the same old stories anymore about Troopers not having their ankle rigs.

My suggestion for an ankle rig, that I've used in the past: Desantis Die-Hard leather and sheepskin. Some things are worth the money. https://www.desantisholster.com/search.php?search_query="P-014PCA6Z0"+"P-062BAE1Z0"

Back
Top Bottom