• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

And it Was Just like that... No worries about anyone falling...

One of the first lessons I learned when riding in the back of the truck is to not put your fingers between the back of the cab and the front of the bed. Seemed they weren't attached except at the frame and any bump made that opening between them to become very, very small and hard to get your fingers out of until it settled back down. I usually rode on the tire bumps (stepside only) and sat up higher than everyone else. Made me feel bigger than I was. I could also look down and see the through the holes in the rotted wood bed and watch the road go by. Those were the days.

I remember going to an Uncles funeral around 1968. I rode from South GA to Hamilton Alabama in the bed of the truck and back. I remember being cold that trip. The exhaust heated a warm spot on the bed that I did my best to lay on for the trip!

Apparently your parents loved you more than mine did

;o)
I dunno man, I just know my Dad was in two really bad wrecks. The first time he got T-boned in a ‘60 T-Bird without seatbelts by an Atlanta police paddy wagon in 1962, he got hurt pretty bad with a bunch of broken ribs and messed his back up pretty bad. The second time was in 1970, him and another detective (Dad was a detective) were patrolling around Riverdale on Ga 85 in his personal car (‘70 Charger R/T 440) when they heard a call over the radio that an officer needed help. A woman pulled out in front of him when he was running about 130 mph, he swerved and missed her but crossed the median and hit a panel van. They said Dad’s car flipped about 12-13 times, end over end & barrel rolled before coming to a stop landing right side up. The car was almost cut in half and the only reason they both survived was because of the seatbelts. Dad ALWAYS made me buckle up before we even moved, I raised my sons the same way. My car doesn’t move until everybody’s buckled up now, it’s just a habit at this point. There was a picture of his car taken from a helicopter hanging on the wall in the hall of Riverdale City Hall till at least 2009, I wish I had asked for that picture before they moved city hall or remodeled it, can’t remember which but I think they threw it away before I found out about it.

I dunno man, I just know my Dad was in two really bad wrecks. The first time he got T-boned in a ‘60 T-Bird without seatbelts by an Atlanta police paddy wagon in 1962, he got hurt pretty bad with a bunch of broken ribs and messed his back up pretty bad. The second time was in 1970, him and another detective (Dad was a detective) were patrolling around Riverdale on Ga 85 in his personal car (‘70 Charger R/T 440) when they heard a call over the radio that an officer needed help. A woman pulled out in front of him when he was running about 130 mph, he swerved and missed her but crossed the median and hit a panel van. They said Dad’s car flipped about 12-13 times, end over end & barrel rolled before coming to a stop landing right side up. The car was almost cut in half and the only reason they both survived was because of the seatbelts. Dad ALWAYS made me buckle up before we even moved, I raised my sons the same way. My car doesn’t move until everybody’s buckled up now, it’s just a habit at this point. There was a picture of his car taken from a helicopter hanging on the wall in the hall of Riverdale City Hall till at least 2009, I wish I had asked for that picture before they moved city hall or remodeled it, can’t remember which but I think they threw it away before I found out about it.

Good post Tazz and I agree 100%.

Back
Top Bottom