• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AMT Back-Up (.22 LR)

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
AMT produced all stainless guns back in the day and was founded 1977. They created a very small semi-auto pocket pistol the "Back-Up" intended for law enforcement use but popular for civilians as well.

This tiny semi-auto was designed to slip in a pocket and used for close work. The all stainless design makes it rust resistant. The sights are fixed rudimentary channel type. It has a single action trigger with a depressible grip safety (1911 style) and a manual safety on the left side of the frame. The frame grip is rather small and the magazine has a hook/pinky extension.

AMT had issues with working on stainless steel and some frames and slides were of the same stainless steel and would gall the metal and lead to malfunctions. I use RIG stainless lube/grease to avoid galling and insure the frictional areas are well polished.

Pros:

It was a reasonably priced gun back in the day.

Easy to conceal very small all steel pistol.

Rust resistant.

Neat looking and attractive pistol.

Cons.

This example was a jam-o-matic. It was unable to fire semi-auto with any ammo. But it's fixable, see details.

Grip is tiny.

AMT went bankrupt. This particular model is no longer made.

.22 LR is not a great caliber choice but better than harsh words.

Without further ado here are the pictures and an explanation of how I got this gun to run for the first full magazine ever. More testing later.

i60.tinypic.com_illqpc.jpg

i59.tinypic.com_2m6sok0.jpg

i59.tinypic.com_jl5hd4.jpg

i61.tinypic.com_wvyk3r.jpg

i59.tinypic.com_27zkuvc.jpg

So the issue was failure to go into full battery/lockup-fail to feed issue.

i60.tinypic.com_13yff4g.jpg

So the areas that can use a bit of help;

The feed ramp can be polished.

The extractor can be polished and a radius can be applied to sharp edges. I angled the extractor a tad sharper to allow less lifting on the extractor to enhance lockup.

The extractor channel on the bolt can be polished and smoothed out. I used a small rod wrapped with sand paper to accomplish this.

The extractor channel on the barrel hood can be smoothed out a bit. I used a tiny file wrapped in 400 grit paper to smooth the extractor channel.

So to break this pistol down, use a non-marring punch (plastic, brass, aluminum etc.) to punch the take down pin out.

i59.tinypic.com_2hhhgzl.jpg

Once the pin is out retract the slide a bit and the bolt with either come out on it's own or a non marring rod inserted through the mag well can tapped on to loosen it up and out.

i59.tinypic.com_2m4u06t.jpg

Take down continued. The hammer will need to be depressed to release the slide forward.

Last edited:
Take down continued:

Depress the hammer with a non-marring rod to clear the rear of the slide and allow it to advance forward.

i59.tinypic.com_5eehk6.jpg

Field stripped in to basic parts.

i60.tinypic.com_2eahuv7.jpg

First off breaking the hump and polishing the feed ramp where the bullet strikes the feed ramp.

i60.tinypic.com_1pwlt2.jpg

I used 400, 800 and 1000 grit paper on this one (out of 600 grit) wrapped around an empty shell once holding on to the excess paper cut to fit the shell. I see saw it back an forth and check the ramp periodically with magnification.

i61.tinypic.com_2rwtapv.jpg

Two finger love, don't go crazy just smooth the hump a tad and polish it a bit. Don't try to remove all tool marks and the bullet only contact the upper 1/3 portion of the ramp. Maintain the angle except at the hump. The intent is to reduce it to allow the bullet a straighter path to the chamber.

i59.tinypic.com_2hx27nb.jpg

A good shot at the hump that was reduced.

i58.tinypic.com_1z1z5o2.jpg

The magazine angle to the feed ramp.

i61.tinypic.com_orjtrm.jpg

The bullet angle to the feed ramp and the extractor slot can use a tad of polishing as well.

i59.tinypic.com_10d9v1y.jpg

Reliability and functionality steps continued.

Last edited:
The point where the bullet contacts the ramp, less hump, less jump.

i59.tinypic.com_52ckd0.jpg

Next pull the firing pin, pin. It just pushes out.

i58.tinypic.com_2nrlgya.jpg

i59.tinypic.com_2ilfuwh.jpg

The extractor comes out with just pushing it in and flipping it out, It goes back in the opposite. Oddly the extractor was polished with a sharp edge (can catch) and the other side was beveled but not polished.

i60.tinypic.com_30jpjf8.jpg

i58.tinypic.com_332qkhz.jpg

Polish the extractor where it contacts the rim of the case. I sharpened this angle to allow less lifting on the extractor when in full battery and resting on the extractor channel on the barrel hood.

i59.tinypic.com_23sg7cx.jpg

i59.tinypic.com_2hoik46.jpg

I use a flat piece of granite to have a perfectly flat surface.

i58.tinypic.com_23lnt6g.jpg

Button it up and now this see this jammer run.....

Last edited:
I love this pistol. Dad had one and growing up I used to shoot the snot out of it. Ours was a sewing machine, sorry you had issues but if there is anybody that can smooth a pistol out, it's you!

Great thread!

Very cool but why not avoid all that work and get a Beretta 21a? :D

Like this one..... The 21A Bobcat is an excellent tiny pocket .22LR pistol out of the box. The tip up barrel is great for weak hands that have problems pulling a slide back. One of these suppressed is a desire I have.

i58.tinypic.com_24g7gqb.jpg

i62.tinypic.com_15rxkar.jpg

I love this pistol. Dad had one and growing up I used to shoot the snot out of it. Ours was a sewing machine, sorry you had issues but if there is anybody that can smooth a pistol out, it's you!

Great thread!

Thanks! This was once my Dad's gun as well.

Wow, this is the best gun review ever......

Too kind sir, but thanks I do appreciate it.

Good pics and info as usual. Thanks.

You are very welcome, glad to hear from you B. Byrd.

Great thread! Thanks for the info!

You are welcome sir.

Back
Top Bottom