• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo - the good ole days

Electra_glide_ryder

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
41   0
Reaction score
I guess I’ve been holding ammo for a very long time.
A3627E90-498A-4EB3-97D3-36BF820F83DA.jpeg
AA48BB81-F1E6-4326-A807-58C0271A3D02.jpeg

I bought a spam can of surplus WWII 45 ACP in 2001...turns out it was ALL USGI War manufactured ammo from the biggest and best ammo and gun makers that fed the WWII machine. It still shoots, but it has to have a very heavy receive because it's all nearly slug-sealed with some kind of sealer. Very high pressures. It's corrosive and smokey so you have to clean right after shooting...

Closest I got to that was a couple of Walmart ammo cans of green tips in stripper clips for about $185....
Back during the summer I had cleaned out my safe and found a couple of boxes of 243. I haven't shot 243 since the early 80s. Don't have that gun anymore. So, I saw an ad on ODT someone was looking for some. Contacted him he said he was going to use them so his son could sight in his rifle for the upcoming deer season so I figured okay. I opened them just to make sure that they were completely full boxes and saw the receipt for $8.60. This was after I told the guy I take $15 a box I had no idea what they were worth. So I figured it's an okay investment for 35 years and when we met he was real happy and even asked me are you sure you want to sell these for $15 each? And I actually felt a little guilty almost doubling my money on them until I saw what they were going for. I've seen them go for $40 a box. I really didn't mind after I thought about it because it made it where his son could hunt. He was at the meeting and look like he was about 12 years old. I hope I made his day.

Back during the summer I had cleaned out my safe and found a couple of boxes of 243. I haven't shot 243 since the early 80s. Don't have that gun anymore. So, I saw an ad on ODT someone was looking for some. Contacted him he said he was going to use them so his son could sight in his rifle for the upcoming deer season so I figured okay. I opened them just to make sure that they were completely full boxes and saw the receipt for $8.60. This was after I told the guy I take $15 a box I had no idea what they were worth. So I figured it's an okay investment for 35 years and when we met he was real happy and even asked me are you sure you want to sell these for $15 each? And I actually felt a little guilty almost doubling my money on them until I saw what they were going for. I've seen them go for $40 a box. I really didn't mind after I thought about it because it made it where his son could hunt. He was at the meeting and look like he was about 12 years old. I hope I made his day.

I know how you feel...me the same way....some people here think you should stock what they want when they don't have the sense or money and keep it secure, safe, in good conditions (temp and humidity) just waiting for them to complain you're a gouger/flipper and want you to sell it to them what you paid for it......

Back
Top Bottom