• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo storage questions

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
Trying to decide between ammo cans vs original packaging in mylar bags. Both with O2 absorbers and desiccants.

Ammo cans easier to handle, but how can you tell the rubber gasket is not leaking without opening periodically and then having to replace the O2 absorbers and desiccant after you check?

Mylar bags easier to know if there is a complete seal. If I have no plans to hump my ammo around and it will be in the safe anyway, is this a better option for me?

Thanks!

Ammo cans are gtg at least 35 years with no O2 absorbers, in my experience.

That will put me way beyond my personal expiration date.

How about sealed in bags and locked in the ammo cans?

Didn't think about doubling up. Good idea.

A9498026-2D48-4036-97D2-C6C3583553F5.jpeg
Color changing Desiccant tells you if the can is good - This stuff works

I'll just relate an ammo storage story.

My dad inherited my grandfather's m1 carbine from the war. His brother got him a case of ammo from the air force. Shh.

This ammo was stored in a car port in middle GA. Summer heat/humidity and winter cold.

Dec '51 Lake City and it still shoots good today. That's 69 years of poor storage conditions.

IMHO, yes, you are WAY over thinking this!

I'll just relate an ammo storage story.

My dad inherited my grandfather's m1 carbine from the war. His brother got him a case of ammo from the air force. Shh.

This ammo was stored in a car port in middle GA. Summer heat/humidity and winter cold.

Dec '51 Lake City and it still shoots good today. That's 69 years of poor storage conditions.

IMHO, yes, you are WAY over thinking this!

Thanks! As a matter of fact the ammo I was storing is Lake City green tip.

Honestly, it will never go bad so long as you keep it cool and dry. Maybe after 100+ years you might want to start worrying.

Back
Top Bottom