• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ammo scalpers

It's not rocket science, if they are reselling the ammo then it's still on the market, it hasn't gone anywhere. The shortage is literally because of people panic buying to hoard.
It's an adverse reaction. You aren't going to buy it at their price so you buy it the first chance you get at normal retail. Hence you get people buying **** they don't need. We can go back and forth all night but the fact is this happens every time. Flippers buy to flip, people buy out of panic, supply can't keep up with the flippers and panic people buying and we end up with empty shelves.

And the 8 millllllion new gun owners who were already in a panic when they finally bought that first gun. They dgaf or even know what a box of 9 mm FMJ should cost. But they know they need ammo for that new SCCY or Taurus blaster they just shelled out that stimulus money for so they can go shoot the ceiling and target stands down at the local indoor range.
Yep, millions of new shooters, stimy checks, huge unemployment bonuses, and a political nightmare all made for a perfect storm. but some people think all would be fine and back to normal if bubba the neckbeard didn't get to academy sports first thing in the morning :lol: I guess ignorance is bliss.

It's an adverse reaction. You aren't going to buy it at their price so you buy it the first chance you get at normal retail. Hence you get people buying **** they don't need. We can go back and forth all night but the fact is this happens every time. Flippers buy to flip, people buy out of panic, supply can't keep up with the flippers and panic people buying and we end up with empty shelves.

Careful. Sooner or later, one of their mod friends will come in and find an excuse to silence you... They protect their own... birds of a feather and all...

If I see some, I grab some, but I don't actually need any...

Then give it to charity or a good cause!

Me! I'm the charity case and good cause! You can even write it off on your' taxes.

Just because it's in an article doesn't mean it's true, logical, or makes any sense at all. It ain't just scalpers, it's literally 90% of gun owners (just about all of us) that will grab any ammo we see on a shelf at normal retail pricing.

There's no ammo I particularly need, but if I see any on the shelf at the local super store or online I'm grabbing. This is different from my behavior the last few years because **** has changed.

Blame scalpers all you want, fact is if you can't find what you want it's because everyone else is looking too and if you ain't first you're last. And that's the way it will be until supply catches up with demand.

Very much so, yes. The fact is everyone is now viewing ammo as a scarce commodity. Actual hundred of millions of people are seeing this and are in fact now focused on stocking up in warehouse quantities. This will keep the ammo deficit much longer than perhaps "it should be". Large ammo manufacturers have tooled up for surplus demand before and then been left holding their dick when it dropped back off. So unfortunately they won't do this again since most manaintain their market share plus have increased profits. The cost of regulation + competing with large scale factories is pretty inhibitive to to new suppliers entering the market.

Yep, millions of new shooters, stimy checks, huge unemployment bonuses, and a political nightmare all made for a perfect storm. but some people think all would be fine and back to normal if bubba the neckbeard didn't get to academy sports first thing in the morning :lol: I guess ignorance is bliss.

That makes sense for popular calipers. It doesn't make sense for special rounds and ones for specific task. A rec shooter has no use in a 300 short mag or 3.5" 12 ga #6 shot. But idiots buying to sell sure do. Your average hunter doesn't go out and buy 4 boxes of rounds at a time because they aren't going to shoot but a few a year. So why is it disappearing? Why is it I'm seeing .243 soft point for over $2.80 a round? Because people buying **** to sell for profit.

Then give it to charity or a good cause!

Me! I'm the charity case and good cause! You can even write it off on your' taxes.

Very much so, yes. The fact is everyone is now viewing ammo as a scarce commodity. Actual hundred of millions of people are seeing this and are in fact now focused on stocking up in warehouse quantities. This will keep the ammo deficit much longer than perhaps "it should be". Large ammo manufacturers have tooled up for surplus demand before and then been left holding their dick when it dropped back off. So unfortunately they won't do this again since most manaintain their market share plus have increased profits. The cost of regulation + competing with large scale factories is pretty inhibitive to to new suppliers entering the market.

Well, I don't buy much, haven't had to because I stocked up long ago. If I buy ammo these days, its for going shooting, so I don't have to dip into my stash... So it's a box here or there, at normal prices, and then I can go to the range...

What came first the chicken or the egg? I ain't saying flippers help the situation, just saying 90% of the problem is we are all a bunch of ****ing hoarders. Mainly because we don't trust our government and believe they are going to eventually tax or regulate ammo out of existence.

Another point about flippers, you brought up turkey ammo and that reminded me. Several years ago I went to Walmart for some fishing supplies and noticed in the fishing section they had red labeled some turkey ammo. I'm pretty sure it was $2.50 a box, and even though I have absolutely no need for turkey ammo, I know a good deal when I see it. So I bought what they had left.

Now I'm tempted to sell it for 10 times that price.
Does that make me a bad person for adding ammo back to the market? Or is more helpful if I don't flip it and just leave it collecting dust on my shelves.
Fact is if I decide to flip it I'll be helping out the market, making some turkey hunter happy he was able to get ammo.
IMG_20210219_195416384_MP.jpg

Already sold a bunch of 270 I paid $10 a box back in 2012 for $40 a box. Was that a bad thing that I added ammo to the market and lessoned the shortage? Or should I have hoarded it. How exactly would keeping it and not flipping it help out anyone?

That makes sense for popular calipers. It doesn't make sense for special rounds and ones for specific task. A rec shooter has no use in a 300 short mag or 3.5" 12 ga #6 shot. But idiots buying to sell sure do. Your average hunter doesn't go out and buy 4 boxes of rounds at a time because they aren't going to shoot but a few a year. So why is it disappearing? Why is it I'm seeing .243 soft point for over $2.80 a round? Because people buying **** to sell for profit.
You can't assume you know what people are selling. If I list that turkey ammo I posted above, everyone will swear I just bought today it to flip. I've had that **** for years and never planned to sell it, just figured I'd have enough critter blasting ammo for a lifetime.

So I would actually be adding ammo back to the market that has been long gone for years, but the know it all ODTers would swear I'm camping in walmarts parking lot :lol:

Back
Top Bottom