• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo Folklore

Hookah

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
38   0
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy at work today and had mentioned I was putting away some ammo for long storage in some airtight containers with desiccant packs. He said it wont make any difference because for some time now, the "Government" has required ammo makers to include a chemical that degrades the powder in about 5 years.

I never heard of such a thing and I hope this is just a silly rumor that came out of someones imagination. Anybody else ever heard this or know where the concept originated?

I have never heard of anything like that , not saying it wouldnt be true but i do know i have shot ammo that is 5 or 6 years old and it still shot just fine . Plus i have shot ammo that was waaaay older than 5 years old and it shot fine so not sure when he is talking about but so far never heard it or been effected by it

Which government? It's always "they". Lol. I've heard this before also and its just my opinion but it sounds like bs.

If the ammo manufacturers have lots of ammo runs that don't pass government approval they just sell it to the public. Why would they bother? Can't believe the government would have a need for ammo to go bad in 5 years anyway.

An ammo manufacture would not want the liability of having ammo expire. Just think about someone using expired ammo in a self-defense situation and it fails to go "bang". Or how about a LE or someone in combat in the same situation. No way the military can track and pull ammo.
I would ask your friend, how long has they have been doing this and what is the name of the chemical?
I'd say that this myth is "busted".

FYI just shot ammo recently that was stored since 2004... Shot fine. I'll holler back in 5 or 6 years when I break open the 2008 stuff. A lot in between, may take awhile.

I would guess the rumor stems from reloading.
If you leave your powder out, unsealed, it can absorb water, making it less effective.
I have noticed it with my black powder rifle. I had a container that had a crack, and it messed it up.

Shot some 70 yr old 7.62x38 and it went boom. Left nasty residue but still fired and the brass swelled more than normal newer ammo making ejection a little sticky. If they are doing this, it would have to be newer ammo possibly.

If it had planned chemical decay it would also have an expiration date and a big label saying do not use and dispose of properly after said date. Too much liability for hangfires

Back
Top Bottom