• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

American Magic spectacular capsize.......

Last boat race I was in was back in the early 60's. It was a Pram race just 10 footers and it was during a storm..Half turn over..But we all had a good time. Since then the only race I have been a part of was, doing Arial communications with Dr.Magoon in the Cigarette Ocean races..He was sponsored by American Express travel checks ..That puppy had 5 tripped out Black Maxes bad to the bone..
Those cigarette boats are really scary.

I just hate these boats. This is not really sailing in my opinion. Yes they are amazing craft, but they are not sailboats.

Yes I'm an old-school sailer with probably more time on the water than most on ODT; I just like it traditional and strategic. I've raced one-design boats my whole life (Laser, Lightning, Thistles, etc.) as well as big yachts and I just can't warm up to these hydrafoil setups.

I just hate these boats. This is not really sailing in my opinion. Yes they are amazing craft, but they are not sailboats.

Yes I'm an old-school sailer with probably more time on the water than most on ODT; I just like it traditional and strategic. I've raced one-design boats my whole life (Laser, Lightning, Thistles, etc.) as well as big yachts and I just can't warm up to these hydrafoil setups.
I hear you, I’ve sailed blue water boats for 50+ years so I know what you are saying but it’s a bit like going from prop planes to jets. For the last15 years I’ve sailed a high performance cat but these things are something else. Been loving watching the racing, mind you the New York Yacht Club said that if they won they would go back to displacement hulls.

Terry Hutchinson the American Magic team leader has said all the other competitors have offered labour, technical help and any of their spares to help get America back in the water, that is real sportsmanship.

Back
Top Bottom