• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AMD-65

blackplague14

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
48   0
Reaction score
After reading in the "Deals, Deals, Deals!" section of the ODT Classifieds that Centerfire Systems had the Hungarian AMD-65 for $399, I decided to order one instead of SBRing my Draco. I placed my order online Sunday. I received an e-mail on Monday stating that Centerfire did not have a copy of Semper Fi Arms' FFL. I e-mailed Chris at Semper Fi, and he sent a copy of his license that evening. The rifle arrived at his place on Thursday. Seems like extremely quick shipping, especially considering the one day delay to get them a copy of the FFL.

The rifle has a semi-gloss, black finish. The folding stock locks in both the open and closed position. For 922r compliance, it comes with the Tapco G2 fire control group and a Tapco 20 round magazine. There is a 4" muzzle brake tack welded onto the 12 1/2" barrel to make over the 16" legal length. From what I've read, the rifle is imported using single stack mags and TGI opens up the mag well to accept a standard AK magazine. Some have reported mag wells with either too much wiggle, or too tight. I seem to have gotten a good one! It locks up very similar to my Draco, which is factory built to take the double stack mags.

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_001_6.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_002_8.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_003_4.jpg

Many folks complain about the lack of cheek weld with the AMD's wire stock. AMD 65 Tech makes a stock adapter to improve the cheek weld. http://www.amd65tech.com/index.html However, 12 years ago I was blinded in my right eye in an accident at work. Ever since then I've had to shoot rifles left handed. I was happy to find that I can shoulder the AMD-65 right-handed and my left eye naturally lines up with the sights. So for the first time in over a decade I will be able to shoot a rifle right handed!

The wire stock is a little rough on the cheek. I split a piece of 3/8" rubber air hose, slid it over the stock, then wrapped in 550 cord. It is more comfortable now, and the stock is still able to lock in the folded position. Initially, I had a longer piece of hose wrapped on it, but it hit the receiver when folded and prevented the stock from locking closed.

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_005_6.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_004_4.jpg

I am hoping to get a chance to go to the range this weekend and will update with a range report.

Just got back from the range, and I love this thing! Like I stated above, this is the first time in 12 years that I've been able to transition from right to left shoulder. Most of my shooting today was done shooting aimed doubles, switching shoulders after each double. Felt a little clumsy at first, and I'm going to have to relearn mag changes from the right side.

I used 2 Tapco 20 round mags, 2 Romanian 30 round mags, and a Romanian 75 round drum. The 20 and 30 round mags locked in perfectly, with a little side to side wobble on the 30 rounders. The drum is a tight fit in both the Draco and the AMD, but once locked in it feeds reliably.

I shot Ulyanovsk FMJ and some old Russian HP ammo. There were zero failures of any kind. It seems to be sighted in a little to the right from the factory (maybe an inch or so to the right at 50 ft.), but I was limited on time today so just shot it for function. I will bench it and zero it another day at 25 yards.

I haven't decided if I'm going to SBR either of these AKs, but I've got an Ace Socom stock laying around that would look awesome on the Draco. My plan for the Draco was Tech Sights, Ultimak rail, and Ace folding adapter with the Socom stock. I guess the amount of fun money available in the future will decide what I'm going to do.

I know it's been a while since you made this thread, but I would like to know what flash suppressor you have on the Draco.

003-4.jpg

That is a Primary Weapons Systems FSC-47. http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=57&idcategory=6

I now have it on my AMD. I permanently attached a 4" barrel extension from CNC Warrior. Magpul rail on the side and bottom with TLR -1s. AFG replaced the vertical fore grip, and Tech-Sights doubled the sight radius and has an aperture sight similar to an AR. Hogue grip. I am also now using US Palm magazines (not pictured), they still keep my rifle 922r compliant, but have metal locking lugs unlike the plastic Tapco mags.

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_010_8.jpg

Here are the latest pictures of my AMD:
i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_001_17.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_004_13.jpg

Modifications include:
Hogue grip
Echo 93 rear sling loop
G2 trigger
enhanced selector lever
recoil buffer
enlarged bolt handle
Tech Sights