• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alternative Heat

I’ve had a freestanding Buck stove for about 20 years now. If you don’t mind cutting a little firewood & the small mess that comes with it..in the form of a few wood chips here & there and having to clean the stove out 1X day… It’s a real money saver and will heat a 2500 square-foot house easily,if it’s insulated. If the power goes out… A 2000 W generator will run it,plus the fridge and other necessities. We have a central heat AC/heat pump… But they just don’t do well below 40° IMO. Energy hogs unless your house is super insulated. I also like the FEEL of the heat from a Wood stove. If you are physically able & don’t mind a little work.. Wood is still a great choice.

I’ve had a freestanding Buck stove for about 20 years now. If you don’t mind cutting a little firewood & the small mess that comes with it..in the form of a few wood chips here & there and having to clean the stove out 1X day… It’s a real money saver and will heat a 2500 square-foot house easily,if it’s insulated. If the power goes out… A 2000 W generator will run it,plus the fridge and other necessities. We have a central heat AC/heat pump… But they just don’t do well below 40° IMO. Energy hogs unless your house is super insulated. I also like the FEEL of the heat from a Wood stove. If you are physically able & don’t mind a little work.. Wood is still a great choice.
Correct, NOTHING heats like wood.

Just added a large wood heater in my shop, don’t really need it often, but if the power and gas go off I can move it into the house.

You should post more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As a rule of thumb... Unless you plan on staying in the GeoThermal equipped home for the rest of your life it is hard to justify the cost difference. Unless they have come down considerably in installed pricing. My wife and I bought a home that was built by a builder that had Geo in. Two story home with two systems. The home was 7 years old when we bought and the lower floor had already been converted to a standard heat pump system. We were told that the geo had sprung a leak underground and kept having to be refilled. The second floor was still on the geo and was always having some kind of problems. There was a large manifold that had 4 recirculating pumps attached located in the crawl space. In the 10 years we lived in the home I ended up replacing all the pumps at least once and a couple twice. The system required a lot of maintenance in regards to flushing and filling etc... That system was installed when that home was built in 2000 so I would think they've come a long way since then.

Back
Top Bottom